New Central Vacuum System

I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few weeks. Never had one, or used one.
I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at least one of the under counter floor outlets.
I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair out of the motor.
Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.
I've had both Galaxy and Nutone there is no comparison the Galaxy vacuum unit is great . However for the hoses and accessories I prefer Nutone the Galaxy doesn't use a bag but the previous owner of the current house had a dog and never had problems with it Bob

I put a Sears unit in about 30 years ago. I don't even know if they still have them. I chose not to use the Sears plumbing because it was smaller diameter than Nutone. I also installed an AC outlet near each vacuum inlet for use with a powered hose and powered beater/brush. BTW, my unit is bagless; we have always had a dog or 2; have had no problems with dog hair. I would never buy a central system with a bag. Bags plug and suction goes down, especially if you use it, like I do, for cleaning in the shop area.
L M wrote:

I have a Nutone that has been installed since 1978 and have not had one problem with it since. Well, wait.......I DID have a clog when my son decided to vacuum up some French toast one time. Other than that, no problems.
I was at a cistomer's house the other day and she had an option I want to install wjhen I redo my kitchen. It was mounted on the kickplate of her kitchen sink. She called it a "central dustpan". Basically you can sweep the floor with a broom and then step on a small lever to open a door (which kicks the central vac on) and you sweep it into the opening. I just thought that would be really handy to have for cleaning up in the kitchen without having to drag the hose out.
Anyone know what the real name of the accessory is?
The device you describe is called the automatic dustpan. I have one and it gets used every day here is a link http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidairevac/vaaudu.html Bob

Vac-Pan

I put central dustpan into google and a bunch of links came up. Seems it is called a central dustpan.
I have a Nutone dual motor tank. It works well. They used to guarantee the motors for life but they stopped that a few years ago. That was one reason to use Nutone right there. It has a bag and there is no decrease in suction as the bag fills. In fact it is so powerful no matter how full the bag is that it is important to check the bag every few months so you don't overfill it. It has a secondary filter to protect the motor in case you burst the bag which happened to me when I used 3rd party bags. Nutone bags are superior and that is all I buy now.
As far as the power head, I've tried several. I started off with a Nutone that was obviously built by Eureka. It was narrow and noisy. I then bought an expensive Stealth from Italy. It was quiet and well engineered but the brushes weren't long enuf for our low nap carpet and after using it for several years we decided it really wasn't doing a good job. Consumer Reports rated Stealth and said it was good. We sold that head on ebay and bought a Hoover Windtunnel head. It is basically the same head used on highly rated windtunnel cannister vaccuums. When Consumer Reports rated central vacs they failed to test that head and instead tested cheaper Hoover powerheads. However whenever they test regular cannister vaccuums the windtunnel heads are top rated. We are extremely happy with it. It is not as elegantly designed or as quiet as the Stealth but it does a great job.

While we are on the subject, is it possible to have the vacuum pump located above the floor you want to install the outlets? For example, vacuum in attic with vacuum receptacles on second floor.
It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it has to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

Are there no longer models that exhaust to the outside?

Most of the new installs I have seen still exhaust outdoors. They also have "mufflers" that are installed that make them even quieter....
I've tried mine with and without a muffler. Mufflers just take the edge off the noise. It is still loud in my garage. Any can exhaust to the outside if you want.

Yeah. I had never heard of a muffler for them and was at a customer's house when I saw my first one. He actually had an extra one (the intsaller left it behind) so I brought it hom and put it on mine. Couldn't tell much of a difference, really.....

The "muffler" on my system (30+ year old Nutone) is really just an outside hood with a square of fiberglass insulation inside. It does take away some of the higher frequency noise, but it still makes quite a rumble for the neighbors.