Never place your phone in a microwave oven

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:04:17 -0600, Dean Hoffman

The Constitution is not a suicide pact.
"The choice is not between order and liberty. It is between liberty with order and anarchy without either. There is danger that, if the court does not temper its doctrinaire logic with a little practical wisdom, it will convert the constitutional Bill of Rights into a suicide pact." -- Robert Jackson - Supreme Court Justice
...or if you want someone more contemporary with Franklin:
"A strict observance of the written law is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to the written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the ends to the means. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 2/4/2012 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote: ...

Well, at that time there were very few of anybody of today... :)
But, in case you were under a rock, there were Muslims that were threats even then--check out the origins of the Marine anthem--those exploits mentioned date from only 25 years after...
Q. What percentage of US national budget went to tribute to protect shipping interest from these pirates up until the time action was finally taken?
That doesn't justify violating the Constitution.
BTW, and totally unrelated to the Constitution. Muslims have been a threat to the US since before there was a US. Think: Pirate.
When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.
In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are *some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!
Get it?
On 2/4/2012 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:

Oh yea, abuse and terrify the citizenry to keep them safe. Government agents must molest every citizen who wants to travel to protect them but never profile because that is racist and may violate someone's civil rights, especially if they're a terrorist. The people who support that kind of government abuse have brain damage. o_O
TDD

Actually they were a threat when they were created 1400 years ago You need to study up a bit more on that cult of death.

The very BASIC view of Islam with respect to everyone else in the world is defined with: Dar-al-Islam versus Dar-al-Harb. The House of Islam against the "House of War". If you're not part of Islam, you are automatically part of the "House of War". And that means that anyone in Islam can make "war" on you anytime they want. In more simple terms, it's a STANDING DECLARATION OF WAR So as long as Islam is around, and you are not part of it, you have a target on your forehead.

E911 tracking can't be "turned off".

I don't have a good calibrated device. I have one with a simple meter, but not calibrated in watts sq. There is a standard regulated limit. I would have to look it up. Got to watch food build up around seal. Worst thing is your eyes next to the door.
Greg
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

From experience: Don't put a CD in a microwave either.

Ohhh, pretty!
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:03:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Grapes are quite good, too.
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:17:21 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

I put a whole egg in the first one we bought (about 33 years ago). It would have made a real treat (incredibly light and fluffy scrambled eggs), if it hadn't been for the shell. ...another experimental failure.
On 2/6/2012 8:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Years ago, my older sister placed a china plate that had a decorative gold metal inlay pattern on said plate into the microwave oven. There were a lot of noisy sparks jumping all over that plate. Her jumping up and down and screaming was very entertaining too. ^_^
TDD

I do it all the time. When I want to destroy CDs/DVDs with sensitive information I find that four or five seconds in the microwave oven makes them completely unreadable. Far more secure than cutting them up or using a mechanical shredder.
-- Bobby G.

That's hard on a microwave, might break it. I would also place a small load, like a 1/4 filled coffee cup of water in the corner.
Greg
<stuff snipped>

using a

Might be hard on modern gear but my 1984 Litton manual-twist timer 900W oven has eaten 100's of CDs and DVDs without incident. It's only a few seconds of crackling and it destroys the disks so thoroughly - the patterns look like crazed varnish - that I doubt anyone but the NSA could recover even parts of it.
I think by the time it's thirty years old I will have to open it to replace the fan - it's getting noisy - but other than that, the simpler the better. My sister's gone through at least 4 much newer and fancier ones in all that time.
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:00:56 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Mine's been at the bottom of the office closet for over 4 years; I think I've perhaps missed it (in the sense of "wow, I could sure use the convenience of a cell phone right now") for all of ten minutes in all that time. I am admittedly around a land-line and email a lot, but for times when that's not the case there are few things in life that can't just wait.
cheers
Jules