Never place your phone in a microwave oven

Page 1 of 2
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.
"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will cause the battery to explode."
Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone? Do some people think they're they edible?
Drying it, in case it gets wet?
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.
"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will cause the battery to explode."
Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone? Do some people think they're they edible?

No.
It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. If so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.
The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that cell phone from another phone. If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the seals are bad because they are letting RF in. RF in = RF out when the microwave is operating.
DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!
Tomsic

It's a "first approximation" test. If the cell phone's RF goes in and out, there's reason to be worried and get an RF field meter or other test done. The microwave chamber is supposed to be a Faraday Cage over a broad range of RFs. Remember, harmonics are being generated too. The snopes reference covers the subject quite well.
Tomsic

I think most modern microwaves are specifically tuned to reject the flow of rf exactly at the microwave frequency by making the door seal 1/4 wavelength wide all the way around. Other frequencies are only rejected by capacitive seal.
This all reminds me about I noticed my door is a little loose at the top right latch. I have to try and fix that. I have several devices which can detect leaks. They all leak anyway due to the extreme high power. The cell phone only outputs 300 mw max on high power. The microwave is typically 3000 times that. 300 mw on you head is quite a lot. Remember in strong signal areas, the phone lowers it output power.
Greg

On my 1970 heath kit microwave I built, the seal system was a little different. It relied solely on a capacitive seal, then a last resort, conductive vinyl seal. That vinyl always tended to melt.
ok, I'll have to put my cell phone in there!!
Greg

Yep, my cell phone rings in both of my microwaves, and my tower gives a strong signal. GSM service.
By the way, an electrostatic cage, or faraday cage must have intimate contact between metal surfaces at all points.
Greg

There was a guy on Teen Jeopardy earlier today who melted his cellphone in a toaster oven. Well, maybe it was on a toaster oven, but still.

Radio Shack used to sell microwave detectors at a reasonable price. Maybe 10 dollars 20 years ago. It's probably still sold by someone somewhere.**
At the time I had an Amana Radarrange Model No. 2. I got it second hand because of a broken spring, and it looked exactly like the pictures of microwaves that were used for decades, maybe still are.
Early models didn't have latches on the door, only springs, so I was able to test the detector by opening the door a little, but not to the point the swtich turned it off, and I could see the needle on the detector move. I've used it for every microwave I've had, to check if the door is leaking, etc.
** couldnt' find mine but....non-reusable card, 8 dollars (Amazon.com product link shortened) gauge, better than mine $27 plus shipping perhaps. http://www.testersandtools.com/General-Tools-MLD290-Microwave-Leakage-Detector.php gauge, better than mine $27 plus shipping perhaps. http://www.comforthouse.com/micleakdetwi.html
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

No.
They think that there will be people who drop their cell phone in the toilet or the kitchen sink and will try to dry the phone by putting it in the microwave.
On another level, the phone makers want to protect themselves from lawsuits brought by people who put their phone in the microwave (for what-ever reason) which lead to injury or property dammage. By putting that warning on the phone, they will at least absolve themselves of some portion of blame or liability.
On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:29:40 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

If you put your cellphone in a Howitzer, be careful which direction you point it.

Hmmm. Depends upon the door seal and the other things already mentioned here, doesn't it? ;]
Tomsic
On 2/4/2012 3:28 AM, micky wrote:

In prisons, the prisoners put their cellphones up their...., well you know. o_O
TDD
On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:29:40 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.
If the government or the programmers want to track you, that setting won't "really" turn the tracking off.
Take the battery out, only way I know to disable tracking.

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.
On 2/4/2012 10:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What are the Mormins up to now? Only a terrorist would worry about being tracked.
A few of us still wish to enjoy the freedoms the Bill of Rights prohibits government from infringing. The burden of proof is on the government. The cliche "only a...." attempts to shift the responsibility. That's not very American of you.
What are the Mormins up to now? Only a terrorist would worry about being tracked.
On 2/4/2012 11:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.
In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are *some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!
Get it?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759 US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
From: http://tinyurl.com/ykv9lbs
On 2/4/2012 3:04 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

And the next time some Muslim nutcakes blow up an airplane or a building, all the pacifist liberal sissies will be crying about why the US government didn't do something to protect them.

Good point. The U.S. from its founding has always had enemies who want to kill us -- Some have even turned into friends -- like the British.
I think the Bill of Rights has served us well. May we continue to be worthy of its ideals.
Tomsic