Need more breakers - Electrical advice needed

I have a 200 amp service but have a small metalworking shop in my basement. I find I need quite a few 220 breakers for all the machines etc. My box is full with breaklers so I have no where else to get the power I need. I'm trying to install a 220V heater in my garage. If I elect to get another 200 AMP panel is it connected to the same lines that come in from the street or does the electric utility need to change my feed?
Can I use a 100 amp double pole breaker as a feed to a sub panel to allow me to have two or three more 220 breakers in lieu of adding an additional 200 AMP service.
What does it run $$ wise to have another 200 amp panel installed? I'm in CT.
Thanks
Have you looked at THINNER breakers? They are half as thick but you can install twice as many.
Or install a 100 amp sub panel

A subpanel is the way to go IF he has the capacity. All the new 240v circuits he is talking about could easily require a bigger service. But we can't see it from here.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

He did say he needed 240V breakers... but then again if he has a Siemens panel he can get breakers that have two double pole breakers in the space that would normally be taken by two single pole breakers... the handle ties are a little contrived but other than that they are a handy solution to the problem...
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

My best friend has a machine shop in his basement:)
Thing is if your usually the only one working in it rarely will multiple heavy loads be in use at the same time.
In such a case you wouldnt need a 2nd panel.
Now if you have employees bustling about, then you would need a additional panel
Add a 100A subpanel and be done with it.

200 amp is quite a big breaker, is it ur main breaker? are you sure?
system21 u568567
Check out his game <br><a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/ Galactic Conquest</a>