Need Help Re Pipe Connection

I have plastic water piping. I have an outside freeze-proof faucet connected to this piping that I want to replace. Wouldn't you know that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point downward, the connection leaks.
I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while - which will harden and be leak proof. Is there something? Should I use it?
Thanks
Duke
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 8 May 2011 09:15:59 -0700, "Bill"

Teflon I tried - twice. The compound I did not use.
Duke
Add pictures here
✖
On May 8, 12:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Get a Shark Bite connector. A bit more expensive, but since they swivel, you can point the spigot in any direction you want. Great for connecting "plastic" (PEX?) to copper.
http://www.sharkbite.com /
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/8/2011 11:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Hard to imagine can't get another half-turn w/ plastic...
✖
On 5/8/2011 2:00 PM, Bob F wrote:

Well, it was leaking anyway so the other foolishness wasn't going to help... :)
When (and if) it does, switch the sex on the replacement...
✖
dpb wrote:

I'll say. I have two frost free faucet out at my cabin. When one bursted, I ran into same problem. The faucet probably has marking pointing top side. Careful use of Teflon tape did the trick.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 8, 9:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

IME, overtightening causes most problems with plastic/metal connectors. Undo it, clean off anything you have applied, 2 or 3 layers of teflon tape and snug it up but don't overtighten.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Or cut the plastic pipe. Thread it on the faucet. Then glue the plastic back together with a union and the faucet pointed down.
I do prefer to only use plastic male and not plastic female. Plastic female do crack sometimes when over tightened. You could add a metal threaded union to the mix and switch the platsic end to male.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 9 May 2011 05:13:16 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

That sounds good to me!
Thanks
Duke
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds plausible too. I will try the prior suggestion first, and if that fails then maybe yours. But then again, if I do that, I probably cannot do it your way,
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On May 11, 4:17 pm, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Just remember _don't overtighten_ I have the entire house done in PVC/ CPVC plus all underground feeds to standpipes. There isn't one connection anywhere in it where I wouldn't be able to force anohter 1/2 turn. None of them have ever leaked excepted on female PVC/iron adapter that cracked - I learned there never, ever use a female plastic/iron adapter.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

That's good advice. I've cracked female platsic fittings myself. My lake house is plumbed with all cpvc/pvc. It has been fine as well. When I have a threaded connection to make I use teflon pipe dope and make the threaded connection first. Then glue the plastic.
Add pictures here
✖

You don't use fibre washers on tapered threaded pipe fittings.

Hemp is for smoking.

You don't use O rings on tapered threaded pipe fittings.
I'd try getting another half turn on the fitting. If that doesn't work then just cut out the existing PVC and start with a new piece of PVC and female adaptor. Or you could end the new piece with threads and use a metal coupling to join the sill cock to it..

Add pictures here
✖

Pipe, unless very unusual plumbing, = pipe thread = tapered.
Your suggestions got exactly respect they deserved, i.e., none.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖