Need dimmer for 750watt lamp

Need to buy/make a dimmer for a 750 watt stage lamp.
My first thought is to just use a dimmer from box store and slice up an extension cord and splice it in. That is assuming they have dimmers to handle that load.. it would be easy to find a cord that would handle that load.
Do they make 1000watt+ dimmers?
Is there a better solution. (light must be mounted about 25 feet away from nearest power source, so need some bit of cord run.)
Jack wrote:

1KW dimmers are readily available, just a bit more expensive than the $10 ones which are usually 600W rated. You didn't indicate what the use is, but you can readily get lamps smaller then the "normal" 750W to fit the fixture.
One of the 1KW dimmers mounted in a suitable enclosure will do the job, but lacks some features of a proper stage dimmer such as linearization of the dimming curve, EMI/RFI suppression, bulb preheat and smooth turn on from 0%.
Pete C.
See Lutron C1000 or Lutron C-2000

Jack wrote:

Ten bux froom Harbor Freight will get you one that will handle 750 watts and comes in its own box awready, just get an extension cord that can handle 12 amps and you should be fine.
I've used mine for the same purpose:
http://tinyurl.com/qs574
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I know you can't use a lamp dimmer to slow a motor but can you use a motor speed control to dim a lamp. My intuition says yes but I am not 100% on that.
PipeDown wrote:

Works fine for me...
Jeff
--