Need advice on insulation plan

Hi,

I currently have *no* insulation in my house whatsoever. While planning to insulate the attic, I ran into a dilemma:

We have a standard gable roof, where half of the roof slant is the upstairs room's sloped wall/cieling.

I have no plans to tear down the plaster anytime soon, so I came up with this:

My roof rafters are 24 on center, so I'd like to take the 2" rigid foam insulation in the 24" width and slide on piece down each slope so gravity holds it down against the sloped wall/cieling on the interior side. There is plenty of space in these eave slopes that there would still be ample room for air circulation above them (just as there would be with the standard baffles.)

Any cons to this plan that anyone can see? (Other than the fact that I will only get about R-10 out of it. I still figure that's better than nothing. I can touch these slopes at night, and they're FREEZING, so it can only help, as I see it.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Beantown

Put ONE in and see if the wall temperature differs from its neighbors. Ought to be a cheap experiement.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just have them blow the cellulose down those cavities when they do the rest of the attic

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone.

Thing is: I am doing it myself with batts -- not blown-in. And absolutely a no-no to fill the entire eave cavities with blown-in!! Need circulation...

I think I will try a few of the boards over the bedroom slopes to see if it helps.

I was mainly wondering if anyone had reason to think that the plan as I've described it would be an inappropriate use of the foam or whatever...

Any more suggestions, please keep em coming!

Thanks aga> Just have them blow the cellulose down those cavities when they do the rest

Reply to
Beantown