Need a better battery.

Page 1 of 2

I have a project to decorate the family "Little Red Wagon" with Christmas lights. So I stated experimenting with LED light strings and battery combinations. I finally decided to use an Inverter and not cut up any light strings. The LED light set that I found has 80 lights and the specs state it uses 12 watts. So as a test I connected two 6v lantern batteries in series and ran the leads to the inverter (rated at 100watts), connected a lamp with 40 watt bulb.
The inverted started up and seemed to be working, but when I connected the lamp, the green led on the inverter turned to red and lamp glowed at 60% of what it should. The voltage from the battery dropped from 12.6 to 11.5v. I need a battery with less internal resistance.
What would make a better 12v source ? Most NiCad drill batteries are up around 18v+ What is the voltage of battery in APC backups ?

Your family has one of these?
http://www.moparstyle.com/wiki/images/6/6f/LittleRedWagon2a.jpg
Just run the inverter off of the truck's battery.

Holy crap! That one always filled the park at National Speedway on Long Island in the 60's & 70's. Funny Cars, The Green Monster, Big Daddy Don Garlits, talk about popping memory bubbles.

Do you mean on Sunday Sunday Sunday at National Speedway?
I grew up in Queens during the 60's & 70's.
Well, "grew up" would be stretching things a bit.

I would tell them "Cousin Brucie sent me" but still had to pay to get in.

re: "Cousin Brucie"
For me it was the section that starts with "Where Rock Lives" found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWFS
I rarely quote Wikipedia, but they do a pretty good job of describing the influence that WNEW had on rock music and the radio industry during those years.

Yea well I had to get an FM radio first! Once that happened, it was rarely tuned to anything but WNEW. Would sultry be a good description of Alison Steele's voice? :-)

Teenager...Alison Steele...the overnight shift. Need I say more?
BTW this the first FM radio I ever had in a car (the full URL is below)
http://tinyurl.com/my-FM-converter
After that, I upgraded to an under-dash FM radio/cassette player. That was my first in-car stereo.
My 66 Rambler Ambassador had a *vertical* AM radio with the AC ducts running right behind it. You couldn't install a standard "horizontal" radio in the dash.
The radio in this image is actually mounted vertically. The buttons to change the channel can be seen below the chrome trim strip. (Sorry about the pop-up)
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2986891380098082265TdeYie
Full URL to eBay item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Audiovox-micro-radio-FM-converter-very-nice_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de9754a3QQitemZ360216745123QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I also had a Rambler. Can't remember what year it was but I was the envy of every testosterone rampant teenage buddy. It had a handle on the sode of the front seat to make it go flat back. Rare back then with the junkers we drove.

I had a neighbor that worked the same place I did. One morning I had to bum a ride and I was begining to get a little upset that he was dragging about a bit and I didnt want to be late for work. It normally took me 20 minutes to get there but this AM it took 15 in his Scrambler. We got there on time and I never asked him for a ride again.
Jimmie
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:49:13 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

love to have one!!! The SCRambler and the Rebel Machine were SERIOUS performers!!!

re: "a handle on the side of the front seat to make it go flat back"
The Ambassador 990 was 6 passenger car. With both halves of the split front bench reclined until they were even with back seat, the inside of the car was basically a full size bed. For that, and for many other reasons, that car is still my favorite out of every car/van/truck I've ever owned.
The feature that we speak of was immortalized by the Blue Brothers in the second verse of this song...
"B Movie Box Car Blues"
Caught a ride into South Dakota With two girls in a light blue Desoto One's name was Jane, the other was plain But they both had racing motors
Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife, She had a brand new lay down Rambler She parked on the other side of town She layed the Rambler down She said she could dig if I'd knew her
Doing my best to get back to you Ain't nothing I'd rather do Look for me Sunday, gonna be there honey Something special just for you Special just for you
Made a truck stop, toothpick and water Got a ride from a fruit pickers daughter Drove her through the night, let the fruit just right Said All I could eat for a quarter
Next, hopped a train with a hobo woman Said she's from Texas too The way that she did, what she did, when she did what she did to me made me think of you Hey honey made me think of you
Doing my best to get back to you Ain't nothing I'd rather do Look for me Sunday, gonna be there honey Something special just for you Special just for you
Hey honey something special just for you
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:09:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Had an FM 8track under the dash Managed to find a factory FM for my Ambassador (1972?)

Yes, but she didn't look much like her voice.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

Depends on what era the pic was from and of course, your mental perception. This particular pic fit my perception:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/AlisonSteele.jpg
I've seen other pics of her that are just as you say.

She most emphatically didn't look like THAT in person.
That's a carefully crafted and staged photo utilizing lots of makeup, false eyelashes and lighting.
In person, she was a complete frump, and her belly hung over her belt.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

A regular Susan Boyle huh?

You're getting warmer!
Red Green wrote:

Dang! Look at those fake eyelashes! That's a tipoff of the time period.
TDD
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had one of those trucks but it only had a slant six engine, darn.
TDD