My Wife.....

Page 3 of 4

There's the problem. That shrub to the right of the door needs a little bit of a trim.

She end up at Pax???
Why not rent the house out?
Red Neckerson wrote:

While that's an option, and the house payment is about $690/mo. The property taxes are $450/mo.
wrote

Nice house! I'd go AWOL just to stay there. :-) But seriously, are you there when it's being shown? If not, find a way to get the buyers' realtors to call you and tell you what kinds of objections they're getting to the house. They won't all cooperate, but I'm sure some of them will.
Details: 1) I don't see the satellite dish in the pictures. But, when I was buying, I looked very carefully at any accessories which involved screws through the roof shingles. If that's where yours is, offer to have a real roofer remove the dish and do whatever patching or shingle replacement is needed. Holes in the roof make people nervous.
2) I realize you're in a much warmer place than Rochester NY, but are pools a liability down your way? Not in terms of kids falling in, but in terms of turning away buyers who aren't interested in a pool no matter HOW easy it is to maintain.
3) In the picture on your main page, it looks like the tree overhangs the gutters. If it does, that could dissuade some buyers. Might be worthwhile to call in a reputable tree service to give the tree a COMPETENT haircut. In some cities, the utility company uses the better companies for seasonal tree work. They have to. They can't afford to have morons damaging homeowners' trees.
4) Here's a biggie: Most of the sellers I spoke with didn't really understand their furnace & AC warranties. Get with your literature, call the manufacturer if necessary, and xerox & highlight the crucial parts if necessary so it can be handed to potential buyers. Focus on whether the warranty is transferable. The wording's not always clear. If it's in your favor, highlight it. Ask the same questions of the company which installed the equipment. This is important. I bought my home this past summer. Naturally, the inspectors and I tested the furnace, but it began acting up in early October. It was installed this past April. The problems turned out to be due to installation errors. The installer tried to claim that his warranty was non-transferable and became confrontational at my attempts to reorient his thinking. The manufacturer (Goodman) ended up paying a reputable installer of my choice to straighten out the problem.
#4 might be especially important if American Standard is in the same category as Goodman equipment. I'd never heard of Goodman until I looked at this house. Inquiries turned up many similar answers: "It's OK. It's contractor-grade stuff". Or, "usually installed by people who know they're leaving the house soon. Otherwise, they'd install Trane or Carrier". Whether this is true or not, you have to deal with peoples' impressions.
Doug Kanter wrote:

the roof make me nervous too.
Pools, I'm told, are a plus. And it was for me, too, when we bought it.
Trees have been trimmed. I do that annually. Driving around I notice most homes have taller trees with limbs overhanging roof, provided they are above the roof and not within 3 or 4 feet of roof itself.
I'll have the warranties out when they come in. I'm always here when it shows. It's transferrable and only 15 months old.
Thanks.

That can be part of the problem. Get out of there and let the realtor do their work. Buys don't want the owner hanging around when they talk about the plusses and minuses of the house.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

which could be part of the problem but that's the way it goes.

Being available,, for unexpected questions, but out of the way so they and speak among themselves... that's a good thing.
Having the list like you have on the web page, of when this or that was installed along with a few photos. Stack of these left on table so they can take one with them is nice.
They say no matter the color of carpet or interior walls, you're prone to pick a color that is not "perfect" in the buyers eyes... BUT a color that's other than white can cause a normal sized room look small.. (in other words, painting a perfectly clean white or offwhite room you may not get your money back for that... but a nasty, or purple-green room may be worth the money to paint) I personally don't care for the blue in the photo of the kitchen due to it drawing attention to the size of the kitchen... makes it look smaller. Also I'd prefer lighter color (white) with the stained wood trim. THAT's what I dislike the most... the blue with the brown trim. DON'T paint perfectly good wood trim...
Person I sold my last house to was a nurse,, She had perfectly gorgeous stained chair rail, crown molding, kitchen cabnets painted white.... (I went back for a visit..) Looked like a can of white paint had exploded in there. This was den dining room and kitchen...Oh she did this to window trim too... Nice large stained mantle over fireplace,,, she had that painted white too..... about cried... You could light the whole den/ dining area with a 7 watt night lite bulb. To each their own...

A few years back I went over to visit A fellow I worked with. Walked into his NEW house and the railngs for his stairway were gone. I asked what was the deal, and he brought me to the basement, where the parts of the railings were. He had completely disassembled the railing, and was painting everything white, his solid oak railing, balisters, everything, white! What can you say?! I could never understand why he had disassembled it all, let alone paint it! Greg

Well,,, that's one of those things.. it belongs to you,, do with it what you wish... BUT ANYONE who paints perfectly good wood or nice looking brick or rock wall / fireplace should have to display some sort of bumper sticker so the rest of us will know to steer clear... Chuck...

Yup! He was quite proud of it all to. I did not know what to say, I was just dumb founded by it all! Greg
Chuck wrote:

My wife's a nurse too. Unfortunately she has her mother's taste in colors. I do wish she had repainted before she PCS'd to MD. Would have made it easier for me.
Oh well, one room at a time. I have painted the stair wall and wet-bar area white instead of that dark blue show in the picture.
Next...the family room.

And the main thing that I saw in the pictures that I disliked was all that dark wood trim. To each his own :-) When we bought our house, among the first improvements we made were changing out the dark hollowcore doors with white six panel doors and painting all the dark brown trim white. It made the whole house look much brighter and bigger. We also painted every white wall in the house a different color.
I wouldn't have cared WHAT color the walls in the house were when we bought it. Painting each room a different (not white) color was a given for us.
The OP's blue walls didn't bother me in the least.
wrote in message

Invite 3 friends who don't have dogs. Ask them if the place smells like dogs. If so, make allowances in the selling price for replacement of all carpets. Dog owners usually don't notice how disgusting those animals smell.
Doug Kanter wrote:

It depends on the dog, and how it is cared for. Every third visitor asks how it is my house doesn't smell of dog. I tell them about my mother's comment about my pets: "They are better fed, better groomed and better disciplined than most of the children in the world." blacksalt but I agree on the nose test, although if it is for dog, the best thing to do is run the vacuum. Carpets loaded with dog smell permanently alter vacuum cleaners, IME
Doug Kanter wrote:

commented on them just being there, but I just told them the dogs go with me....not the house.
Also have them with collars that give a mild shock when they bark so they aren't that noisy when we're in the backyard. I don't know if I even need the collars now since they don't bark that much anymore.
They're also limited to areas of the downstairs with ceramic tile on the floors. The floors are scrubbed daily with vinegar water.
You sure that is per month on the proerty taxes?
wrote

MC wrote:

That's as bad as the northeast.... That would be hard for me to take... But if someone is forced to live in the area.. they'll have to pay it... unless there's options across the county line....
Chuck wrote:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ...
That property tax is in Texas - and Texas doesn't have an income tax. So they raise money through property taxes.
In the northeast, you get to pay both.
Back to the original poster - are other comparable homes in the neighborhood selling?