My Snow Shoveling Solution For The Deck

Page 1 of 2
After 25+ years of shoveling my deck by either forcing the snow through the railings or lifting it over, I finally decided that I was getting too old for that. The deck is 6' feet above the yard and the only opening in the railing goes to a small landing at the top of the stairs. There was no way to easily shovel the snow from the deck - until now.
First, the description, then a picture which will help this all make sense.
The posts for the railing are built in a sideways "H" configuration when viewed from the top. The railings slip into the "H" and are secured with nails though the face of the posts. The posts are then capped with a square cut from a 2x8 and nailed onto the top.
I removed the nails that secured a railing section into the posts, as well as the nails from one side of 2 caps. This allows me to raise the section of railing enough to shovel underneath it. The railings fit fairly tightly between the posts, so I can't raise either end to their final height in a single lift. To solve this, I built "stepped" supports, allowing me to raise the railing incrementally until it is at its final height.
Although this section of railing is now a bit shaky, I haven't made the deck any less safe since the railing section can't go anywhere except up. In the spring, I'll secure the section with a few screws just to tighten it up until next winter.
I've used the system twice this year and I'm quite happy with the results.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/Railing%20Shovel%20System_zpseq7juq8r.jpg
On 1/23/2016 1:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My wife says, in part because of knee replacement, that she is not shoveling the deck this year.
Great by me as last year her hacking ice off it requires me to re-stain it this spring.
In the winter, the deck is for the birds. Let them shovel it.
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:41:19 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Do the birds know how to grill a nice Hot Italian Sausage or maybe some Salmon on a cedar plank?
My deck is for grilling all year round.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had a 4 season sun room built on top of deck laying down laminated foam core floor. BBQ is done in the patio with screen and wind blocker heavy curtains. This patio has all metal posts, roof one in the back yard, one in the front yard. Birds hang around under the ever green shrubbery and I feed them filling the feeder always. Pheasants often come from the park and feed themselves on spilled seeds from the feeder. Last night I saw 3 deer in the yard.
On 1/23/2016 2:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I grilled steaks last week-end but don't go out in real cold weather.
Wife would feed birds but I tossed feeder because of guys like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spueT3HLmrg

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:52:41 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I grill whenever the spirit (or my stomach) moves me. On rainy days, I move the grill so that I can reach it just by opening the sliding door. Once it's moved, I don't have to go outside anymore.
Here's one of my favorite things to grill. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.
http://backtoherroots.acceleratedwp.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/img_8728.jpg
On 1/23/2016 8:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I do them on occasion, but only in warmer weather. I've not uncovered the grill the past few winters. Just shovel enough off the deck yo make a path in case of emergency or that door won't be used until spring.
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:24:12 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If I do pizza in the winter, it's with the grill by the door and a folding table inside by my side. It takes too much work and time to do them outside when it's cold. I've not done it in the winter too often, but for a special occasion, I have.
Dammit...now I'm thinking about good they'd taste during the football games tomorrow.
SWMBO doesn't eat red meat, so I make and freeze hamburger patties and sausage patties for myself. A quick defrost in the microwave then onto the grill. I've always got a quick and easy meal available.
When she asks, I'll grind some chicken cutlets then she'll add whatever spices she wants and I'll make/freeze a bunch of chicken patties for her.
What can I say, I like to grill. ;-)
On 1/23/2016 8:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I might try that. I had kept my fingers crossed at the height of the blizzard yesterday that the power would not go out as I was making a pizza. Fortunately it didn't as I would have had to shovel through a foot of snow to get to the grill.
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:15:59 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

The trick is to brown one side of the dough then flip it over. Put your toppings on the browned side and by the time the other side is browned, the toppings should be done.
I've also learned that smaller is easier. If the dough sticks to the grill, it's much easier to deal with a few small pizzas as opposed to 1 big one. I've never done anything bigger than 1/2 the grill.

< snips >

And I thought that I was the only idiot in the world who shovelled snow off the back deck ! .. I sense a therapy group forming. Our long-gone dog - a real good dog in most respects - - would use the snow-covered deck as his toilet - - but if the deck was shovelled-off - he would always go down into the small dog run ... ie on the ground - .. even if there was snow-up-to-his-balls in the dog run. < he was a tall dog > he wouldn't go on the shovelled deck. My neighbours dog - a large breed - won't go in the deep snow - - needs to be walked to a clear area - go figure. John T.
--- ---

Run hot water pipes under it. I ran heating pipes to my garage to warm the parrot room up, then noticed no frost or snow ever stayed on the bit above the pipes. You won't get ice to slip on either. You could use salt but it spoils the flavour of any food you drop during a barbecue.
--
If breasts had no nipples, they'd be pointless.

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:48:44 PM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
te:

oo

no

nse.

rly

p.

ts.

System_zpseq7juq8r.jpg

he parrot room up, then noticed no frost or snow ever stayed on the bit abo ve the pipes. You won't get ice to slip on either. You could use salt but it spoils the flavour of any food you drop during a barbecue.

Great idea. Hot water pipes under a deck in the snow belt. Very cost efficient. ;-)

A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as afterwards.
--
WEDDING DRESS FOR SALE.
Worn once by mistake.

Ratio of an igloo's circumference to its diameter = Eskimo pi
2000 lbs of Chinese Soup = Won Ton
One millionth of a mouthwash = one microscope.
Time between slipping on a banana peel and smacking the pavement = 1 bananosecond
Weight an evangelist carries with God = 1 Billigram
Time it takes to sail 200 yards at one nautical mph knotfurlong
365.25 days of drinking low-calorie beer = one lite year
16.5 ft into the Twilight Zone = one Rod Sterling
Half a large intestine - one semi-colon
1,000,000 aches = one megahurtz
Basic unit of laryngitis = one hoarse power
Shortest distance between two jokes = a straight line
2000 mocking birds = 2 kilo mockingbirds
One kilogram of falling figs = one fig newton
1000 cc's of wet socks = one liter hosen

[Head crashes into desk]
--
There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the foetus is not considered viable until it graduates from law school.

How big is 5 pounds? A handful each size is attractive, anything more looks silly.
--
If the world were a logical place, then men would ride sidesaddle -- Rita May Brown

I prefer women with only two.
--
A child is for life, not just for benefits.

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

It depends on whether you mean 5 pounds each or 5 pounds total.
Just under 5 pounds each:
US Size: 58A 56B 54C 52D 50E 48F 46G 44H 42I 40J 38K 36L 34M 32N 30O 28P Cup Diameter: 20.7 cm (8 in 1/6) Volume of 1 cup: 2,340 cc (4.9 US pt) Weight of both breasts: 4.2 kg (9.3 lb)
Just under 5 pounds total:
US Size: 48A 46B 44C 42D 40E 38F 36G 34H 32I 30J 28K Cup Diameter: 16.5 cm (6 in 1/2) Volume of 1 cup: 1,180 cc (2.5 US pt) Weight of both breasts: 2.1 kg (4.6 lb
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/720520

5 pounds total sounds better. 5 pounds each would cause this: https://youtu.be/deruT-R0pT0?t=1m9s
--
After Christmas vacation, an elementary school teacher was asking her students how they celebrated Christmas.
When she got to Sammy, whose father ran a local toy store, she said, "Sammy, since you're Jewish, I guess your family didn't celebrate Christmas."