Mower battery rejuvination

the battery is dead on our riding mower. We cant afford a new one and it's too late in the year to buy one anyhow. I checked the water level and it's filled. How can I rejuvinate it? What would happen if I put two battery chargers on it. Would the extra voltage rejuvinate it?

Reply to
oldtimer90

No two chargers would not fix the battery, but they may damage on charger or the other and they might damage the battery causing acid leaks etc.

Make sure your charger is working properly. If it is then just buy a new battery. Why would you suggest it is too late in the season to replace a battery?

Reply to
jmeehan

If you don't want to replace it now, just use the charger to start it each time for the rest of this season. Then buy a new one in Spring. Make sure you put a battery tender on it during winter storage. Letting this type of battery discharge over winter is a leading cause of premature failure.

Reply to
trader4

Dump out the acid and try to shake out some sediment and go buy battery acid, it may not work but I know a farmer who tried it and said it helped a bit. But first check voltage your charger puts out, a battery needs 13.3v to be charged maybe your charger is no good, forget 2 chargers. a fully charged battery will stabilise at around

12.8v
has the info. or jump it to use it.
Reply to
ransley

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 05:39:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote Re Mower battery rejuvination:

Do not use two chargers. Just use one charger. Leave it on overnight. That might get the battery charged enough for one more cut this season.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

A new lawn tractor battery is $18.00 with exchange at Walmart.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

would happen if

or use jumper cables, from car battery.

Reply to
hallerb

But it costs them 20 a week in gas to cut the grass and a round trip to walmart 15$.

Reply to
ransley

Thats what I wanted to do but the battery is under the seat and seat dont go down with jumper cables under it. Mower wont start unless seat is down and someone is sitting on it (some safety bullshit). You cant even start the goddamn thing with battery charger clips under the seat. This mower was either designed by an idiot, or the owner of a battery company.

The price of $18 at Walmart may have been that in 1965. The last time I looked at Walmart the mower batterys were about $50, and that's hard to afford on a fixed income when every cent we get goes to pay for medicines, gasoline and heating fuel, and get $60 a month for foodstamps in order to eat.

Reply to
oldtimer90

jc whitney sells some stuff that rejuvanates old batteries.

ds549