moving grandfather clock

I am getting ready to move my mother's grandfather clock. It isn't working now. Any advise on moving it? I assume I should remove all weights and the pendulum and lay it on its back in the truck. All help would be appreciated.
Remove the pendulum, remove the weights, then remove the clock works and pack all of this stuff separately. When the movers relocated my mother's grandfather clock they failed to do this. There is a little suspension spring in her clock the size of a fingernail that the pendulum attaches to. It broke from moving and the pendulum wouldn't swing. Fortunately we were able to get it fixed.

you should remove the weights and pendulum, and lock the pendulum mount (find some way to imobilize the arm the pendulum mounts to, so the clock works don't run while its being moved.). If you want to be truly carefull, remove the works fromt he case, and pack them separately. It shouldn't be too hard to remove it - the works should be mounted on either a board or a pair of boards or rails. A couple of screws should be all thats holding them in. Alternately, if its not working now, the clockworks may be shot (or maybe they just need cleaning). If they're shot, I wouldn't bother doing anything except removing the pendulum and weights. Deal with fixing the works after its moved tot henew place.
YMMMV
--JD

j.duprie wrote:

mount
clock
carefull,
shouldn't be

or a

holding them

(or
doing
the
all
help
At present, the clock is not operating. My guess, without seeing it, is that it needs a very good cleaning. I don't know if I'm comfortable doing that but I've seen some very good posts here on that subject. Thanks for the help. I think I'll remove the weights and pendulum and then secure the pendulum bracket somehow just for added security.
Remove the weights and pendulum. Insure all the glass is secured and supported. Personally, I would also remove the works and take them to a repair shop, then reinstall them once you have the clock leveled in the new location. Clock cleaning and repair requires special skills, tools, and supplies that most of us don't have, so it can get expensive if you try to do it yourself.
rile wrote:

there.

remove the pendulum
remove the weights
remove the bonnet [pack separately]
secure the case and bonnet doors so they do not open in transit .
remove and pack carefully the mechanism making sure the anchor escapement is not bent or damaged .
when it is time to reassemble it might be a good idea to take the mechamism to a reputable clockmaker so that he can give it a good servicing and replaces any worn bushes . that will ensure thatb the clock will survive to the next generation.....mjh