motorized scooter charging

I need to be able to charge the battery of an electric scooter. The kind of scooter people use if they need an aid to mobility. There is no plug in, only an overhead light, in the room we want to use for charging the scooter. Is it possible to plug the scooter charger into the light socket with an adapter screwed into the light socket to acommadate the charger cord? Would this be an electrical hazard? The charger is 7amps, 24 volts. Patt

Reply to
Patt

No problem. Just get one of these at a hardware store

The model 1406 is probably what you want so you can turn off the light (with the pull chain) but still charge the scooter.

If the charger has a 3 pr> I need to be able to charge the battery of an electric scooter. The kind

Reply to
Bennett Price

Hi, Plugging in the charger like that is OK but charging in a room? Is the room well vented? When battery charges it produces gas which is fire(explosion) hazard. Something to consider! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Perhaps some batteries, but millions of chargers from portable phones, cordless tools, emergency lighting are "in rooms" every day. Is this a problem with sealed batteries? Do you know what type of batteries the scooter has?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Probably ordinary lead-acid automobile type. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Probably the same as in a UPS.

Reply to
Art

"Probably" is not good enough when you make a statement. They are sealed batteries and even approved for airline travel.

Edwin Pawlowski

I would suggest some surface wiring to put an outlet where you need it. You may also be able to pull power from an outlet on the other side of a wall to put an outlet in that room. I am guessing that your home is rather old or there would be outlets in that room. If so you may have a number of issues with the wiring. It might be a good idea to have a professional take a look to assure you have a safe reliable system when you are done.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That is correct at least with my father's model.

Reply to
Art