motorized scooter charging

I need to be able to charge the battery of an electric scooter. The kind of scooter people use if they need an aid to mobility. There is no plug in, only an overhead light, in the room we want to use for charging the scooter. Is it possible to plug the scooter charger into the light socket with an adapter screwed into the light socket to acommadate the charger cord? Would this be an electrical hazard? The charger is 7amps, 24 volts. Patt
No problem. Just get one of these at a hardware store http://tinyurl.com/78b5r
The model 1406 is probably what you want so you can turn off the light (with the pull chain) but still charge the scooter.
If the charger has a 3 prong, not 2 prong plug, things get a bit more difficult. Ask the hardware store for an adapter.
Patt wrote:

Patt wrote:

Hi, Plugging in the charger like that is OK but charging in a room? Is the room well vented? When battery charges it produces gas which is fire(explosion) hazard. Something to consider! Tony

Perhaps some batteries, but millions of chargers from portable phones, cordless tools, emergency lighting are "in rooms" every day. Is this a problem with sealed batteries? Do you know what type of batteries the scooter has?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Probably ordinary lead-acid automobile type. Tony
Probably the same as in a UPS.

"Probably" is not good enough when you make a statement. They are sealed batteries and even approved for airline travel. http://www.4electricscooters.com/MK-U---1-AGM.htm
That is correct at least with my father's model.
wrote in message

Patt wrote:

I would suggest some surface wiring to put an outlet where you need it. You may also be able to pull power from an outlet on the other side of a wall to put an outlet in that room. I am guessing that your home is rather old or there would be outlets in that room. If so you may have a number of issues with the wiring. It might be a good idea to have a professional take a look to assure you have a safe reliable system when you are done.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit