more about AC line splitter

We were duscussing an AC line splitter, for using clamp-on meters.

The one for sale was

It has two holes in in it, apparently X1 and X10.

The instructions

say:

  1. Close the Clamp-on jaws around either the X1 or X10 arm of the AC Line Splitter
  2. If the X1 position is used, read the current directly on the meter
  3. If the X10 position is used, divide the meter reading by 10 to obtain the actual current

How do they do that? I can see using a resistor to make the reading lower than fact (though this would interfere with the operatoin of the device to be measured), but how do they make it higher than fact. (And doesn't that interfere too?)

Reply to
micky

I believe the X1 portion of the splitter just splits off the 'hot' wire and runs it through the jaws of the clamp meter; this could be duplicated with a pair of cord caps and three pieces of wire. In the "X10" position, the 'hot' wire is coiled exactly 10 times so the clamp meter reads exactly 10 t imes the actual current in the wire. Useful for reading very small current s. Instructions for my Simpson clamp meter attachment suggest doing this w ith wire and wrapping it around jaws but the splitter is easier to use if y ou need this capability a lot.

Reply to
N8N

In the x10, the current goes in a ten wrap loop, around the hole. Well, at least, that's what I think happens. I've not taken mine apart. That X10 is very useful when reading smaller loads, helps get a more accurate reading.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon