Mold remediation

What is the best way to clean up mold? My shed developed a leak and everything inside is now covered with a greenish, powdery mold. I've patched up the leak and started wiping down things with rags moistened with Clorox. When that's done, I wonder what else I should do. I have a portable dehumidifier, a space heater and some powerful fans. I recall seeing (here I think) that I should acquire a UV device to kill any remain spores.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

For an outside shed, you've done enough. The great outdoors can't and shouldn't be cleansed of mold.

Reply to
Dan Espen

+1...

Never use a portable anything in a mold contaminated area which you ever intend to use or store inside your house ever again...

All you would be doing by that is spreading the various mold spores inside which you never want to do...

If you really want to get rid of the mold, spray it down with a strong beach solution like others have said during a long dry weather period -- allow it to dry out completely then use a Kilz type primer paint to encapsulate whatever mold you were not able to kill...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

You already have a UV device that will do that,. Place the effected objects out in the sun.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Hmm, how did we get from shed to car? Is there a car in the shed?

Mold grows on just about everything outdoors. When you wiped down the interior with bleach I think you should have gotten the interior of the shed down to normal levels.

Mold likes darkness and moisture.

If you take the contents out into the sun and ventilate you should be okay.

HOWEVER, with a wife involved...

Reply to
Dan Espen

Part of the problem is that the sun has been unavailable - which helped lead to the mold problem to begin with. It's getting cooked overnight with a space heater.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No. Just reverse serendipity. It's been warm, dark and wet this winter and the sunroof drain plugged up and I didn't catch it in time because we don't use that car much. There's stinking mold everywhere.

Just checked the weather - partly to mostly cloudy for the next 5 days ending with snow. )-:

Yep. It's probably never going to be clean enough. Maybe a blessing in disguise and time for a new used car.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green