Mixing oil and gas

Page 2 of 2
Is it a synthetic

This is part of your trouble: 32 ounces is a quart, not a gallon; 64 ounces is a half gallon, not two. One gallon is 128 ounces.

[snip remainder]
The easiest way to do this is to buy a one-gallon gas can for each different mixture that you need, and buy 2-cycle oil in the appropriate size containers for mixing one gallon of each mixture.
For example, some of my 2-cycle tools need 32:1, and some need 40:1. So I have two one-gallon gas cans, labelled 32 and 40.
I buy 2-cycle oil in 3.2-ounce containers for mixing 40:1, and in 4-ounce containers for mixing 32:1. With the gas can empty, pour the oil in, and add gas until it's full -- and the mixture is right. No measuring, no calculating.
Whatever mixture you need, just look for 2-cycle oil that's labelled for mixing that mixture. Or calculate it: for an x:1 mixture, divide 128 by x, and that's the amount of oil (in ounces) to use to make one gallon of x:1 mix. Example: for 40:1, divide 128 by 40 and get 3.2.
Doug Miller wrote:

D'oh! *bangs head* Yep, I can never remember it when I need it (or when posting). But usually I use the chart on the back of my 2-cycle oil, anyway.

Yeah, I've seen those 3.2oz containers, but they're almost the same cost as the 8-ouncers! I guess it beats replacing the machinery ...

I think the way to go, now, is a clear measuring cup pre-marked for the 6.4 ounces that I need for the 40:1 mix in a 2-gallon can. The other suggestion I liked was a "mix" container that is separate from the one you use to buy gasoline in. That way you never add gas, then forget to add oil when you get home.
Having done some reading on this, now, I think I got off easy. I could have ruined my boat engine ...

You guess? :) A 3.2oz container is under a buck, how much is a new weedeater?
Personaly I would go with a seperate can for each, and buy the coresponding mix for each. Not the most effiecient but just how much will you use in a season? I have the same dillema with my leaf blower but I can tell you the NEXT one I buy will be 50:1.

I pick the tool that needs the most oil and go with that mix for all my equipment. Most stuff uses 40:1 now but I have 2 items which use 32:1 so all my equipemnt gets 32:1 and been doing this for a dozen years and I usually give the stuff away because I get bored with them and get something new at some point because nothing ever breaks. Been using the same edger, blower, and trimmer for many years. Even an old 2 cycle lawnboy mower. It all does well with this sloppy method. Only downside is extra pollution I am causing. I also save gas season to season with no problems. Sometimes add a little oil to an old mix before I use it. If I had a $400 blower, etc I probably would not be so sloppy.

Here is the simple answer. Get a one galon gas can (BTW, in New York, here, there are 128 ounces in a galon). Go to the Dollar Store, and buy a baby bottle which is graduated in ounces. Pour four ounces of two stroke oil into the baby bottle. Pour all that oil into the gascan. Go to the store, buy about .98 or so galons of premium. Pump it into the gas can. Screw the cap on the gascan, and shake it.
Gas mix with 4 ounces of oil to 1 galon of gas is called "thirty two to one mix" also called 32:1 and will run fine in nearly every two cycle equipment made.
The reason I don't suggest a two galon can, it takes a long time to use that much gas mix on household gadgets.
Store the baby bottle in a tool box, don't put it on the shelf where grandma will find it and think it's for Scooter.
Shake the gascan before you fill the tank. Every time. I know... oil isn't supposed to separate out. And planes aren't supposed to crash in the world trade center. Shake the gas every time you use it.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Here is a simple answer....try and learn to spell the word " Gallon".......
Just maybe a few educated folks might take your religion more seriously, eh ???
==== You fuckwad....
--

SVL