Mixing gas and 2 cycle oil question...

Page 2 of 3

Or just find any plastic storage thingus that usually holds a few ounces. Plastic yogurt containers come to mind. Carefully measure 2.6 ounces using whatever you can. Cold medicine dosers work and you probably have one in the drawer. When you get 2.6 oz. in there, make a line with a black marker. Measure how high that is. If it is say 1 5/8" from the bottom, just remember that number in case you have to use another yogurt container the next time. If you have a permanent small container, you only have to mark it once. If you use disposables, remember the distance to level.
I'd add just a little to make it run oily rather than the hotter leaner mix, just to keep from frying a piston. A fouled plug is much easier and cheaper to change/replace.
Steve
too much oil causes a lean situation and running hot.

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:08:08 -0500, "S. Barker"

Actually, too much oil causes a lean condition, but also, counter-intuitively, a cooler operating temp, as the excess oil causes that lean mixture to burn slower and cooler.
A lean mix in a 4 stroke will indeed cause it to run hotter.
BZZZZZZTTT! Wrong again.

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:50:46 -0500, "S. Barker"

Yes, you were wrong again. I was trying not to rub your face in it.

negative . i was not incorrect in anything i said. Call the stihl rep and have him explain it to your simple mind. I'm done with this thread.

I have no idea what "Stihl rep" you talked to, but he was probably a sales rep and didn't know what he was talking about. Either that or he said something and you misinterpreted it. In either event, you are still wrong.
Too much oil in gas/oil pre-mix leans the mixture, but at the same timer, LOWERS the combustion temp, and this applies to all brands, not just Stihl. The oil supresses the explosion. More oil, less fire.

You're done. Period.
Idiot.
Steve

Say what?
Steve
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:32:41 -0800, SteveB wrote:

I use synthetic 200:1 for everything from 32:1 - 50:1.

He said:     >> too much oil causes a lean situation and running hot.
:-)

Well, I guess it's just a matter of terminology. Rich and lean have meant in the past, if I recall correctly, the air/gas mixture, with the resulting circumstances being either a fouled plug, running hot and damaging components, or just running crappy. Since lean mixtures don't really run crappy (in my experience) but rather tend to run hot and burn up stuff, again it's terminology. And rich mixtures can foul plugs, build up carbon, or just run crappy. In a two stroke mix, that could be extrapolated to describe the differences in performance and engine/parts life, but that would be comparing apples to oranges.
Therefore, how does running too much oil cause the engine to run hot since it adds more lubrication? Isn't that a condition that occurs when there is too little oil and the parts are seizing on each other? Hmmm? Too much oil has, in my vast experience never caused an engine to seize, but rather load up, and that loading up may cause various problems. But not running hot and seizing. I've burned up chain saws by running too much gas, but never running too much oil.
I guess I'm confused.
Steve

No, you are not confused. Too much oil in the mix makes the mix VERY slightly thicker, which may SLIGHTLY impeded it's flow through the carb jets, resulting in a SLIGHTLY lean condition. The BIG difference in a rich mixture is that it makes the gas less explosive,and therefore the combustion chamber temp is lower, and things get fouled with the unburned mixture. A second problem with the cooler combustion is that carbon deposits do not get burned off as they develop and eventually the rings seize in the piston due to the buildup, and break. Before that, the excess oil that is squelching the combustion will cause hard starting and plug fouling.
That's my theory, of using 32:1 for everything. I've never siezed up an engine by using too much oil.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hey, WTF....You stole my Idea..................... I'm Pissed..................LOL Tony
Well, do unto others as they do unto you. Go to the dollar store, and buy a baby bottle. That's graduated in ounces.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> [...]

Actually it is important to measure the oil. Too much oil will actually cause the engine to run lean which causes damage and lack of power and will also cause excessive carbon deposits.
That's interesting. Do you have any evidence of this?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

- Buy one little bottle of the premeasured which is the 2.6 then reuse from your supply.
- Buy the large bottle that has the gizmo on top and measures it out before you pour. Works neat and no mess.
- For oil & other one time mixtures like say bug sprays, measure 2.6 oz of water in SWMBO's then put water in like a disposable paper bathroom cup. Mark the fluid like with a marker. Dump out water and dry. Fill to line with oil or other toxic stuff. Return SWMBO's measuring cup and show her you only put water in it. Get an atta-boy from her.