Minor door repair advise needed..

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what needs to be done to restore the door?
I got some pictures of the damage here:
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0003.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0004.JPG
Thanks

You can use Plastic Wood or Bondo to patch the divots, sand the patch flush, then just touch-up paint it. It's no big deal, but a handyman might charge you twenty to fifty bucks depending on where you are. I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to save yourself some money and learn how to make a simple repair. R
on 8/31/2008 12:00 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following:

Paint.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This damage does not affect the strength or operation of the door. You could use a little Bondo, sand and paint. The biggest job might be painting the door. Hiring a handyman to do this may cost more than the cost of a new door.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I do this type of repair all the time. * Apply wood filler. Make sure it extends higher than the original surface of the wood. I like Elmer's brand, because it's easy to work and readily available. * Let it dry overnight, or as long as the instructions say. * Use fine sandpaper to sand the filler down to the original surface level. Put in some grooves to match the existing fake wood grain if you feel artsy-fartsy. :) * Clean off all the dust. * Paint it. You'll obviously get the best result if you paint the whole door, but you can do a pretty good job if you thin out the paint some and feather the edges. * Put on another coat of paint if you can still see the filler through the first coat.
This would only take me half an hour or so, but I would have to make two trips to your house, so I would charge you for two hours ($80 total). I would, however, offer to fix other stuff to fill out the two hours.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Steve is 100% correct!!
SteveBell wrote:

whole list of piddly repairs that I'll never get around to, that you could take care of for me.
-- aem sends, not entirely joking....
aemeijers wrote:

Where are you in Michigan? I lived in Holland for four years, and I had a ball performing every year at the Tulip Time Festival.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

-- aem sends....
aemeijers wrote:

I drove through there once on the way east, but we didn't have time to look around. I hear it's a nice place.
Being from Texas/New Mexico, the Winters in Holland were fun. Growing up, I never saw more than six inches of snow at one time. Since Holland is downwind of Lake Michigan, it gets lake effect snow, and they average seven feet a year. One winter I had to plow my driveway every night for two weeks. A shopping center plowed up a snowpile bigger than my house, and it didn't melt until the end of July.
Thanks for the memories.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement