Mini-Fridges

.

My daughter's college doesn't allow cooking the room. They allow fridges but not microwaves.

It sucks, but it's an older dorm and the electrical load may be the reason.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Power was the problem at my school. They wouldn't allow the taller fridges because the dorms weren't wired to support the draw.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Surpisingly to me when we moved our daughter into U Miami (FL) they had no restrictions. The freshman dorms are pretty old, built in the

60s, but I guess someone was thinking ahead when they planned the electrical. They allowed any fridge and microwave in the 2 person and single rooms.
Reply to
jamesgangnc

Do they have a "recycling penalty"?

My daughter's school requires you to check in at the recycling at least once every 2 weeks (or something like that) show your picture ID and sign the log. If you don't, there is some type of fee added to your bill.

You don't have to actually recycle anything, but you have to check in.

The theory is that if you have to stop by anyway, you might actually recycle your plastics, paper, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nope. But the bill is pretty darn high to start with.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

re: "But the bill is pretty darn high to start with"

Times 2 in my case, times 3 next year.

# 3 is pretty darn smart so I'm hoping for some "assistance" from schools that want her.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I was in college, we also had the no-cook restriction. I'm not sure if it was fire code, or how many circuits. I remember one time when a section of the dorm went dark. The workers came out, and went door to door, asking (in the dark) if we were cooking. I sense that they have had main breakers overloaded before. Microwaves are probably better than hot plates -- lower amps, and shorter cook times.

Anyhow, I'm sure they don't want anyone "cooking the room". Got a smile from that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I dunno, I think U of M is pretty close to 3 times the state schools around here in NC.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Good point.

Currently I'm talking about 1 state and 1 private.

At least the private is the 2nd half of a 2 + 2 transfer from a community college, so we're only looking at 2 years of "ouch" - and he is getting some help based on his academic and other credentials.

Still, it's no where near painless.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't know? Maybe a search will help?

Reply to
Tony

No, it is because college kids are idiots, especially when drunk. Fridges seldom start fires.

Reply to
aemeijers