Mini-Fridges

Page 2 of 3

That confuses me, too. I have one like yours that will freeze stuff if you have it set too cold. The statement by the poster seems to infer that all little reefers are this way. I seem to recall that ammonia refrigerators in RVs have some limitations like that, but then, the Dometics will freeze stuff, and the fridges I have had in all my RVs kept stuff cold.
Go figger.
Steve
✖

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.
He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical current is passed through it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 5, 10:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

The one I have is a Haier ($49@Target) 2 fans, 2 Peltiers, thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.
Add pictures here
✖
2 fans, 2 Peltiers, thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.
EACH Peltier draws 4 amps @ 12 volts DC. FYI...ww
Add pictures here
✖

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.
He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical current is passed through it.
reply: Thank you for your very good description. I thought we must be talking about two very different things.
Steve
✖

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of water (in the freezer section) overnight.
The hotel wanted $10/day plus standard "hotel" taxes to rent one from them. The same goes for a microwave. I bought a MW from a college student for $10 off Craig's list.
a.h.r. relate:
When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime, everything I needed was lying around the house.
Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?
Add pictures here
✖

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of water (in the freezer section) overnight.
The hotel wanted $10/day plus standard "hotel" taxes to rent one from them. The same goes for a microwave. I bought a MW from a college student for $10 off Craig's list.
a.h.r. relate:
When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime, everything I needed was lying around the house.
Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?
reply:
No.
Add pictures here
✖
Steve B wrote:

tell the hotel you have celiac disease. there's a federal law that states they have to provide you with a fridge for free if one is available in any room, or move you to a room that has one even if it's an upgrade.

Add pictures here
✖
chaniarts wrote:

Rely?
Add pictures here
✖

Hmmm...lying to get a fridge for free. Isn't that kind of like stealing?
I wonder if there are any federal laws about lying to obtain the benefits of a federal law.
Add pictures here
✖

More years ago than I care to admit, I can recall the "mini-cool" truck parked in front of the dorm complex doing a land office business renting 1cf dorm fridges off the tailgate for something like $25/semester. That was when they sold for over $200 new. Nowdays I've seen them for $50 new in the August sales.
Add pictures here
✖

At that rate it would take them at least 4 years to recoup their $200, excluding summers. More if you include maintenance, swaps for broken unit, salary for the owner/employee, storage, gas, etc.
Doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Uh, the rental company didn't pay retail for them. You get a hell of a discount when you buy a semi-load at a time. I remember those trucks, and how snotty the kid on the tailgate got if you brought it back un-defrosted.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
I wonder how many of the kids just kept the fridges when they went home? Collecting back the fridges musta been a PIA. Since the kids went home on different days.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

THey still rent at many schools. Some schools require you to get their "special" microwave/fridge combo which has been altered so that the fridge is disconnected when the microwave is used. Keeps the load on their over used dorm electrical system down.
Add pictures here
✖

My daughter's college doesn't allow cooking the room. They allow fridges but not microwaves.
It sucks, but it's an older dorm and the electrical load may be the reason.
Add pictures here
✖
When I was in college, we also had the no-cook restriction. I'm not sure if it was fire code, or how many circuits. I remember one time when a section of the dorm went dark. The workers came out, and went door to door, asking (in the dark) if we were cooking. I sense that they have had main breakers overloaded before. Microwaves are probably better than hot plates -- lower amps, and shorter cook times.
Anyhow, I'm sure they don't want anyone "cooking the room". Got a smile from that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, it is because college kids are idiots, especially when drunk. Fridges seldom start fires.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

Power was the problem at my school. They wouldn't allow the taller fridges because the dorms weren't wired to support the draw.
Add pictures here
✖

Surpisingly to me when we moved our daughter into U Miami (FL) they had no restrictions. The freshman dorms are pretty old, built in the 60s, but I guess someone was thinking ahead when they planned the electrical. They allowed any fridge and microwave in the 2 person and single rooms.
Add pictures here
✖