Mini-Fridges

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical current is passed through it.

Reply to
mkirsch1

The one I have is a Haier ($49@Target) 2 fans, 2 Peltiers, thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.

Reply to
Bob Villa

You can stack 2 peltier coolers to get 80 degrees difference, 3 for

120... that is good for operation upside down or any direction, even good for zero gravity. Down on earth staying upright it's a lot cheaper to use the old fangled compressor systems.
Reply to
Tony

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical current is passed through it.

reply: Thank you for your very good description. I thought we must be talking about two very different things.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

On the outlet, does it make any difference in the performance whether you put the ground pin up or down on the 3 prong plugs?

Steve ;-)

visit my blog at

Steve B

I think you are mistaken, he said it was the Peltier type. I don't know what they call the ones that use heat to cool. But I hear they work great with some sun and a magnifying glass.

Reply to
Tony

Of course it does! Just follow NEC. ;-)

Reply to
Tony

The one I have is a Haier ($49@Target) 2 fans, 2 Peltiers, thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.

EACH Peltier draws 4 amps @ 12 volts DC. FYI...ww

Reply to
WW

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of water (in the freezer section) overnight.

The hotel wanted $10/day plus standard "hotel" taxes to rent one from them. The same goes for a microwave. I bought a MW from a college student for $10 off Craig's list.

a.h.r. relate:

When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime, everything I needed was lying around the house.

Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What is the efficency of those units.= Very poor

Reply to
Grumpy

Are there any consumer available stacked peltier coolers?

Reply to
tnom

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of water (in the freezer section) overnight.

The hotel wanted $10/day plus standard "hotel" taxes to rent one from them. The same goes for a microwave. I bought a MW from a college student for $10 off Craig's list.

a.h.r. relate:

When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime, everything I needed was lying around the house.

Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?

reply:

No.

Reply to
Steve B

tell the hotel you have celiac disease. there's a federal law that states they have to provide you with a fridge for free if one is available in any room, or move you to a room that has one even if it's an upgrade.

Reply to
chaniarts

Rely?

Reply to
LouB

More years ago than I care to admit, I can recall the "mini-cool" truck parked in front of the dorm complex doing a land office business renting 1cf dorm fridges off the tailgate for something like $25/semester. That was when they sold for over $200 new. Nowdays I've seen them for $50 new in the August sales.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Hmmm...lying to get a fridge for free. Isn't that kind of like stealing?

I wonder if there are any federal laws about lying to obtain the benefits of a federal law.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

At that rate it would take them at least 4 years to recoup their $200, excluding summers. More if you include maintenance, swaps for broken unit, salary for the owner/employee, storage, gas, etc.

Doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Uh, the rental company didn't pay retail for them. You get a hell of a discount when you buy a semi-load at a time. I remember those trucks, and how snotty the kid on the tailgate got if you brought it back un-defrosted.

Reply to
aemeijers

I wonder how many of the kids just kept the fridges when they went home? Collecting back the fridges musta been a PIA. Since the kids went home on different days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

THey still rent at many schools. Some schools require you to get their "special" microwave/fridge combo which has been altered so that the fridge is disconnected when the microwave is used. Keeps the load on their over used dorm electrical system down.

Reply to
jamesgangnc