mini blind wand not long enough

I'm in a wheelchair, so if I want the blinds opened or closed, I always have to call on my husband to come and do it for me. If I could reach the wand, I'd twist the darn thing myself, but my arms don't lift above my elbows.
I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories, plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.
Any ideas where I can find this item?
Many thanks.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
maxinemovies wrote:

Try calling or writing the manufacturer directly. If they are made in the US wiht some control over the process, they may even make them special for you.
If not, rather than a dowel, you may be able to find some plastic rod the same color to attach with a coupler of some sort. Ed http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

google brought up this http://www.fixmyblinds.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?5X339232

Thanks. I'll ask my husband to measure for me and see if the 36" will work. Otherwise, I'll call the manufacturer directly.
And I'll keep looking online. Obviously I haven't found all the sites yet since I missed that one.
Thanks again.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
SQLit wrote:

I found the wands too short so I bought doweling of the proper length, screwed little brass hooks in the end and stained the whole thing to match the window trim. It looks like it came that way now and it's long enough to easily reach it.
Don't add dowel; replace the wand completely.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

maxinemovies wrote:

I suggest replacing the existing wand with one of your own making. A dowel, nicely painted should work (an eyelet on the top should connect just fine) or you could get a long plastic rod at the hobby store.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

What you need can be purchased. Wands up to 6' long are made. Special ones can be connected together for longer runs.
If these are custom blinds simply contact the dealer from which they were purchased. That will be the best price place.
You need to figure out the brand of blind or at least the method of attachment as all of them are not the same. Look closely where the wand attaches to the tilt control to try and identify the connector. Most tilt controls have a round hole in tilter, wand attaches to it using: 1. wire loop with a plastic cap over it. 2. modified S hook (one leg straight) with a plastic cap over it. 3. a metal hook that resembles a ? when removed. no plastic cap
Some of these are interchangeable and some are not. Once I know what you have, I will try to help you find the parts in your locality or online.
Colbyt
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:35:51 GMT, "Colbyt"

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Unfortunately, we haven't moved into the house yet (it's not quite finished, another month or two and we can move in) so I don't know what brand of blinds are in there. (It's a manufactured home. Maybe I can find out from the factory.)
If I can learn the brand, I'll post it here.
Great group of people here. Always very helpful. Many thanks.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.

Probably doesn't matter the manufacturer except if you want same brand new part or a color match. The other posters ideas of replacing with a home made one (dowel) sound easy and good looking.
An alternate quick and dirty method of extending is to buy plastic tubing at the hardware store of the correct inside diameter (~1/4" or 3/8") and cut that to length than slip one end over the existing rod. You can now twist the tubing (not rubber as it will be too soft) to open the blinds.
I just read your post that said the home is being built. You best option is to contact the company building it and explain your situation.
Adding longer wands at the time the blinds are made is extremely cheap because there just isn't that much difference in cost for an extra foot or two of plastic.
If you can't pull that off post back when you are in the home.
Colbyt
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:26:13 -0700, maxinemovies <email on

Interestingly, although I walk fine, I'm in the same situation.
My neighbor threw away two windows' worth of mini-blinds, and they seem fine except they have NO wand. I know they'll fit because our townhouses are identical.
I haven't found a brand on them, yet, and I'm thinking of a going to a plastic store. In the Yellow pages under Plastics -- rods, tubes, sheets, etc..
Although in Baltimore most of the 7 listings are either truly wholesale or out of town. There are two retail suppliers and one has a minumum purchase amount, which on another purchase, she waived for me. Hmmm. Heres another that says retail that I didn't get to yet.
I think you'll only have to cut one notch and drill one hole, and screw in one screw and nut (maybe with a nylon insert, so it won't come loose) and you'll be done. Some/most of the vendors can do that for you.
(or I may use wood, painted to match the wall (white).)