mildew smell

I am in the process of buying a house in NE Ohio. The first time I went through, the house was dry, there were several ceiling fans and the ac running. There was no smell of mildew. I went through today, 2 weeks later and the fans and ac are still running, the house and basement are still dry but there is a very strong musty, mildew smell through the entire first floor. We can't find any water or old carpet that smells mildewy or any reason for the smell. Any ideas on what or where to look? Has anyone heard of an unknown mildew smell being permanent? What are some suggestions for getting rid of the smell? Thanks, Leslie
That could be a reason it is being sold . Water somewhere is creating an environment for mold to grow. Bathroom leaks, a leaking toilet, water entering windows or trim getting into walls, I would find the cause before you close and find the cost to repair. I have gable vents that allow water into the attic and down the walls I cannot fix yet.. Also some water is getting behind my new Tyvek and mold is growing. Your nose is correct use it to find the afected areas and get a good inspector out. It could be expensive to fix or simple.
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:59 GMT, Chuck

Run, don't walk, away form this house.
Phisherman wrote:

Agree, very strongly. If there is any way you can back out, do it. For one, the seller failed to disclose this defect.
There are an infinite number of possible ways for the mildew to be growing; you are in NO position as a buyer to investigate this problem thoroughly.
Jim