Microwave oven stopped

Page 1 of 2
My almost 3 year old M O was baking a small red potato. I had set it for 6 minutes and while it was being cooked, I was doing other things in the kitc hen..so I was not really paying any attention to the oven...except i could hear the motor running like it usually does...so the point i am making, if it makes any difference is if it ran its course and just overlooked the sou nd of the beep when its done, or it just stopped. I opened the door and it was cooked just fine but the first thing I noticed that there was no light, then i looked at the control panel and no clock and etc. I thought i blew a fuse. I checked the outlet and it was fine. I read the manual and it sug gested to press the pause button for about 3 seconds..that didn't work eith er. I tried to open the back where the screws or what suppose to be a screw are and i do not have whatever tool it needs to unscrew. I tried my Allen wrench tools to no avail. The tool that i might have to buy just to even c heck what the problem is, plust the part or parts needed will turn this int o another 'buy and throw away' product.

Red. That should have been a warning.

You might have just blown a fuse, so it's worth taking the cover off.
The last one like that used a plain glass fuse, available probably in an autoparts store and certainly from an electronics vendor.
Usually the parts you want to look at are on the side, behind the control panel. Maybe you can take off the side with the tools you have.
Sometimes the top and both sides come off at once.
If you don't have the right tip,unless you're very old and don't expect to be living much longer, it's worth buying a set of tips, and a handle that tips will fit into . Under 10 dollars and they're gong to be using weirdo tips more and more as time goes on.
This is the closest I could find like what you need, but I"m not at all sure it has the tip you need. http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-93916.html What I was really looking for was a box of either just tips, or one handle and the rest tips, and more different tips. Someone else will probably tell you where you can get them, and you could deswcribe better the head of the screws you can't
http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-93916.html This does NOT have the tip you want but if you find a box of just tips, this will be a good handle for them. Often the box is made of red rubber/vinyl and about the size of two packs of cigarettes, face to face.
micky;3172310 Wrote: > On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:05:04 -0800 (PST), novel snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

> other things in the kitchen..so I was not really paying any attention to > the oven...except i could hear the motor running like it usually > does...so the point i am making, if it makes any difference is if it ran > its course and just overlooked the sound of the beep when its done, or > it just stopped. I opened the door and it was cooked just fine but the > first thing I noticed that there was no light, then i looked at the > control panel and no clock and etc. I thought i blew a fuse. I checked > the outlet and it was fine. I read the manual and it suggested to press > the pause button for about 3 seconds..that didn't work either. I tried > to open the back where the screws or what suppose to be a screw are and > i do not have whatever tool it needs to unscrew. I tried my Allen > wrench tools to no avail. The tool that i might have to buy just to even > check what the problem

> throw away' product.-

Bear in mind that there are some very dangerous voltages inside a microwave oven so don't go poking around if you aren't sure what you're doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't open it up with a normal screwdriver.
--
M.Joshi

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 22:20:21 +0100, M.Joshi

Perhaps I should have said that. OP don't run the thing with the cover off. Have it on and screwed together. Unless the fuse is blown, ;come back for more advice or throw it away, unless it's a really expensive model worth having repaired.

Well, B&Decker uses security bits on its coffee makers too, and iir its weekwackers too. They don't want peiple inside anything, not just the things that can hurt them.
On 12/25/2013 7:50 PM, micky wrote:

A microwave differs from a Weedwacker or coffee maker in that it has a "capacitor". It's not just a matter of running it with the cover off. Even if the oven is unplugged, the capacitor still holds a charge and can jolt a person. One needs to know how to discharge the capacitor before attempting extensive troubleshooting.

I'm glad to have a new person posting. Welcome, even if I argue a bit.
Yes. My post made the point that disassembled microwave ovens can hurt people and disassembled weedwackers and coffeemakers are much less likely to. But still some companies use secruity screws*** on all of them. Because they don't want owners repairing their own appliances. ***not bits like I said.

Yes. And it's not just that. It's also that the microwave can be run with the cover off, exposing the repairer to high voltage and to microwaves. There used to be a cage, and I think there is still something** inside the case to keep microwaves from a repairer, but it might not be in perfect condiition, or the repairer might mess with it, and not put it back as it was, not realizing he is letting out the invisibile demons, the microwaves.
With TV's for many years there was a high vottage cage to keep people from touching the high voltage on the HV rectifier tube, (and there was a lot of insulation around the wire to the picture tube) but if the cage were removed, the repairman was safe, because the cage was a physical barrier. Even without the barrier, if he didn't get his hands or tools nearer the HV than the barrier would have alllowed, the high voltage wouldn't reach out and hurt him. Microwaves aren't like that. They do reach out. The cage or whatever in a MW oven** is a physical also an electro-radiation barrier, both when the outside cover is off and even when it is on. .
**This assumes there is still something that plays the role of a metal cage. I had a relatively new MW open just a few months ago and if I looked for it, I don't remember.

On 12/26/2013 5:51 AM, Meanie wrote:

when the oven is not in operation. I have have a junk one out front and I could have sworn I saw a drain resistor across the capacitor in the last microwave oven I had apart. o_O
TDD
Micky... The microwaves I have worked on have a stranded size cartage fuse BUT it is a special one that looks like ceramic covering and were 15 amp. They were available at Radio Shack. Unknown reason for fuse failure. New fuse brought them back to working. WW
"micky" wrote in message wrote:

[...]

On 12/25/2013 8:32 PM, WW wrote:

Last one I worked on for a friend, had a shorted high voltage cap, which of course took out the fuse. New fuse didn't last long, and had to find what shorted.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/25/2013 2:05 PM, novel wrote:

Since you didn't ask any questions, all I can do is cheer you on. Go team!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On 12/25/2013 2:05 PM, novel wrote:

guess is that the potato would be totally burned up. When there is too much heat in most ovens, there usually is a safety link that shuts down everything. It is a fusible link which actually melts, opening the circuit. They are usually located on the top of the oven, just above the interior wall.
On 12/26/2013 7:45 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Would this be what you're describing?
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor17&Keywords=SDJ1&site=us
http://preview.tinyurl.com/kce9ejs
I've replaced a lot of them in all sorts of appliances and these small ones are the type I see the most of. ^_^
TDD
novel wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-security-bit-set-68459.html
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:22:56 PM UTC-5, willshak wrote:

I would think that set would work.
My microwave is held together with what I call "tamper proof Torx," sort of a star shaped cavity with a pin in the center to keep you from using a sta ndard Torx. I have a set i bought at the local auto parts store. I assume the HF "star" is the same as what I've always called Torx, that may even b e the correct name.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I didnt' search on the right words.
OP you can certainly enlarge that enough to see if has the bit you need.
If it doesn't, somewhere there's a set about twice as big, in a hinged plastic box with an "embeded" handle (for the box) .
On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:04:37 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

kitchen..so I was not really paying any attention to the oven...except i c ould hear the motor running like it usually does...so the point i am making , if it makes any difference is if it ran its course and just overlooked th e sound of the beep when its done, or it just stopped. I opened the door an d it was cooked just fine but the first thing I noticed that there was no l ight, then i looked at the control panel and no clock and etc. I thought i blew a fuse. I checked the outlet and it was fine. I read the manual and i t suggested to press the pause button for about 3 seconds..that didn't work either. I tried to open the back where the screws or what suppose to be a screw are and i do not have whatever tool it needs to unscrew. I tried my Allen wrench tools to no avail. The tool that i might have to buy just to e ven check what th

How do u enlarge the head of the screw,,,i only have the phillip and old st andard drivers.
On Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:04:49 AM UTC-5, novel wrote:

he kitchen..so I was not really paying any attention to the oven...except i could hear the motor running like it usually does...so the point i am maki ng, if it makes any difference is if it ran its course and just overlooked the sound of the beep when its done, or it just stopped. I opened the door and it was cooked just fine but the first thing I noticed that there was no light, then i looked at the control panel and no clock and etc. I thought i blew a fuse. I checked the outlet and it was fine. I read the manual and it suggested to press the pause button for about 3 seconds..that didn't wo rk either. I tried to open the back where the screws or what suppose to be a screw are and i do not have whatever tool it needs to unscrew. I tried m y Allen wrench tools to no avail. The tool that i might have to buy just to even check what th

Since my last post i came across some hope as the OP here with my oven. I t urned it upside down and it looks like the typical philip screw heads there . So I will try there ..if successful what should i look for, anyone?

I meant you can enlarge the picture to see if it fits your screws.

ARe the screws right by the edges of the bottom and going through the case/cover, or somewhere in the middle of the bottom?
If in the middle, not a good idea. Generally screw heads not by the edge on the bottom of cases hold the parts inside in place. They don't hold the cover on. I know this because for lack of any other ideas, I've taken such screws out too, only to hear the parts rattlling around inside when they're not held to the bottom anymore.
If they are on the edge of the bottom but not apparently going though the cover, maybe you can see where the cover folds in just as it gets to the bottom, so that these screws go through the bottom and then the cover, rather than the other way around. Anyhow, if you only take out the screws on the edges, maybe they will hold parts in place, but the parts won't be as loose because you've left the screws in the middle attached, and no single part would have screws only at the edge of the bottom.
If this post/email is too late, maybe your MW couldn't be fixed anyhow, and it was meant to be that you buy another one. One certainly cant' fix everything.
The first thing you MUST DO is to give a manufacturer, make, and model of t he Uwave. That way we might be able to give you a much more detailed sugge stion on how to proceed.
if the wall outlet into which you plugged the Uwave is definitely ok, then you have to get the cover off to proceed with trouble-shooting the problem. The fact that everything is dead surely points to a fuse in the primary c ircuit. So, spend the $ and get the correct screwdriver bit and screwdrive r bit holder to remove the cover. Then, post back here the info I suggeste d and we can proceed from there.
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:23:08 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrot e:

gestion on how to proceed.

m. The fact that everything is dead surely points to a fuse in the primary circuit. So, spend the $ and get the correct screwdriver bit and screwdri ver bit holder to remove the cover. Then, post back here the info I sugges ted and we can proceed from there.
Thank you all...as the op, this happened on Christmas day so I got in touch with General electric troubleshooter part area today and they said that th ere is no line fuse shown in the diagram for this unit...so out to the curb it goes...Merry Christmas and to all a 'good night'..LOL