Microwave oven capacitor.. Dead short overnight?

Page 2 of 3

It's not a stupid comment at all. When your 17 year old microwave stops working, you would be a fool to even think about repairing it.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
It is a commercial grade microwave, not a bic disposible lighter.
TJ

Doesn't matter, dopey.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
And I suppose i should toss out my 10 year old fridge, also? Just because your too clutzy to fix things doesn't mean everybody is.
TJ

I didn't say I couldn't fix it. I have fixed hundreds of them back when it was still a reasonable thing to do. The problem is that it would be economically STUPID to fix a 10 or 17 year old microwave.
You seem to have the market cornered on "stupid"
Commodore Joe Redcloud
''economically STUPID''? I assume you think it is smarter to spend $500US on a new one instead of a few bucks for some parts.
TJ

Uh, Joe... The original poster has a regular old microwave that can be replaced for less than $130.
Your 17 year old microwave is no longer worth $500, and you are not going to repair it for "a few bucks for some parts". If it is used in a place of business, you can't repair it yourself anyway. OSHA would crucify you, and any lawsuits brought by workers exposed to radiation would have a very easy time suing you.. After any repairs, regardless of what they are, the unit would have to be leak tested and certified in writing by a licensed technician using a certified and calibrated instrument.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
Is this alt.home.repair or alt.replace.with.expensive.new.unit.because.your.too.stupid.to.fix.the.old.one?
What is an osha?
TJ

You have satisfied us all that you are not very (I'm being as nice about it as I can) bright. You can crawl back under your rock now and go back to sleep.
Commodore Joe Redcloud

if that is what it costs to replace it,yes it is worth $500.

I repaired my Sharp for $25. A new cap and a diode.

Since when does the MW *HAVE* to be re"certified"?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So the lawsuits could sue you, not the people? That looks like it should have been read before posting.

Texas Joe wrote:

Calm down. :-) Most people are not going to be able to repair a 10 year old microwave for a few dollars. Most people don't have the skills to do it themselves. They NEED those skills because it is dangerous to work on one of these without a good knowledge of what is in there and how to stay safe. They also are likely to have a difficult time fining the parts. Last when they are done they will have a 10 year old microwave. For some things it just does not pay to repair.
I have a good idea of how to stay safe around one and could fix them, but I have only bothered to take the time to fix one, and it only lasted two additional years (a $5.00 fix in that case) After that I have replaced them and each time I was happy I did replace them as the new one was better.
As for a ten year old frig, I would seriously consider replacing it as well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I have a Panasonic convection microwave that is much older than that. It has a noisy fan that I would love to replace. I can still get the part but I hate to touch the thing. I don't think there is a new Microwave convection oven that is large as this one. Other than the noisy fan it works perfectly. I use it a dozen times a day. From warming coffee to cooking 14 pound turkeys. The HUGE turning platter makes excellent meatballs and bacon on the convection settings. I'm going to be very bummed when this oven breaks.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:33:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

Changing that fan should not be a major problem at all. Just be sure to unplug the MW and either drain that capacitor, or stay away from it. If you dont know what a capacitor looks like, look at some of the appliance parts websites to see pictures. Your fan repair could be nothing more than a blade that is loose, or could need a new blade or motor due to worn bearings. Open the case, see what the fan is hitting, and go from there. Call to find the price of whatever you need and determine if it is affordable compared to a new MW. One of my favorite tricks is going to appliance stores and seeing what they are tossing out. I have come home with appliances identical to mine, and then I got lots of spare parts. The local shop dont care if I take this stuff, because he has to PAY to get rid of some appliances, plus haul them and such... When I am done stripping an appliance, I drive over the housing with my farm tractor and have a flat piece of steel to sell for scrap metal. (except refrigerators, the dont crush easily).
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 03:22:13 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Thanks. The new fan is cheap enough at around $30. I'm going to tackle this because when you cook a turkey or anything that takes a long time the fan noise drives you nuts.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:04:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

That sounds reasonable enough. If you are worried about that capacitor, leave the MW unplugged for a few days before you do the repair. They can still hold a charge though, but tend to drain off after a few days. Then just keep your hands away from parts other than the fan. You most likely have a bad bearing in the fan motor. Those small motors tend to do that. Your whole repair should be pretty simple. Be sure to put all the case screws back when you are done.

The MW is easier to fix than a fridge.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So if the fuse blows or a prong breaks off the plug, you would just toss it and buy a new MW? Apparently you have too much money, and have no concern for our environment and natural resources. Everything wears out eventually and it becomes unrepairable due to cost or lack of parts, but lets be realistic. I fix anything that can be fixed, as long as I can get parts and not spend more than a new device.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:49:39 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I addressed all of your concerns before formulating my reply.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
Too much money or not enough brains? Either way, why is a schmuck with that kind of attitude on this news group?
TJ