microwave oven burned popcorn

Page 2 of 2

Did it not shut off at all. I cook popcorn in a corporate produced bag for 4 minutes. Sometimes that's a bit too long, and sometimes it can go another 15 or 30 seconds, but rarely. Put something else in the oven that takes 5 minutes or more, and see how long the Popcorn Setting is.

To you or does it get into food that you cook in the microwave. If only the first, it will go away. I've burned popcorn in the microwave but haven't noticed any residual smell.

As long as there is something that can still be heated, including burned, in the mw, it's not going to hurt anything to run the thing.
I think, for example, if you put a drop of water in a glass and ran it for an hour, after the water was all vaporized, you'd see sparks, as if the thing were empty. I'm not sure there are sparks when it is empty but I slghtly remember that there were.

mm wrote:

You must have a relatively low powered unit. I would need a fire extinguisher if I let popcorn go four minutes in mine.
There IS a big difference in ovens. I had a 900 watt Panasonic that did perfect bag popcorn in about 2:30. When that one died we replaced it with an 1100 watt Sharp and there is NO combination of settings that will do a good job. You either leave a third of the kernels unpopped or you burn it. The "listen for the popping" method will definitely burn it with this unit.
MJH wrote:

Unless you are sure the microwave is functioning properly and you can explain why it did not shut off on time (like maybe the back of popcorn was undersized) then I would not worry about de-scenting the microwave that you should be throwing out as unsafe.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Place a large bowl with water (1 qt approx) and a large quantity of ground Cinnamon in the microwave, set it on high and let it run for 10-15 min. you want it to boil. This worked very well for our microwave with the same burnt smell.
YMMV
Andrew
On Feb 15, 11:27�am, "AndrewV"

My NEW wife ruined a microwave one day:)
She baked a couple potatoes on HIGH for 25 minutes:(
Filled house with smoke, black oven, it got tossed in trash, Made for nice funny story!
You have a new wife? Is she all shiny & everything? Good warranty?
MJH wrote:

Microwave ovens have setting for various sizes of popcorn bags. Many come equipped to handle at least 4 different sizes. Check the default size for the popcorn setting to see that it matches the bags you have.
1.75oz bags pop MUCH quicker than 3.5oz bags. The setting for a 3.5oz bag will produce teh effect you have seen if you put in a 1.75oz bag.