microwave oven burned popcorn

Unless you are sure the microwave is functioning properly and you can explain why it did not shut off on time (like maybe the back of popcorn was undersized) then I would not worry about de-scenting the microwave that you should be throwing out as unsafe.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Place a large bowl with water (1 qt approx) and a large quantity of ground Cinnamon in the microwave, set it on high and let it run for 10-15 min. you want it to boil. This worked very well for our microwave with the same burnt smell.

YMMV

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the

My NEW wife ruined a microwave one day:)

She baked a couple potatoes on HIGH for 25 minutes:(

Filled house with smoke, black oven, it got tossed in trash, Made for nice funny story!

Reply to
hallerb

You have a new wife? Is she all shiny & everything? Good warranty?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have looked at the instructions on several bags and they don't say to us a popcorn setting. It's usually something like set the microwave on 3 minutes and listen to the pops.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Microwave ovens have setting for various sizes of popcorn bags. Many come equipped to handle at least 4 different sizes. Check the default size for the popcorn setting to see that it matches the bags you have.

1.75oz bags pop MUCH quicker than 3.5oz bags. The setting for a 3.5oz bag will produce teh effect you have seen if you put in a 1.75oz bag.
Reply to
Robert Gammon

You must have a relatively low powered unit. I would need a fire extinguisher if I let popcorn go four minutes in mine.

There IS a big difference in ovens. I had a 900 watt Panasonic that did perfect bag popcorn in about 2:30. When that one died we replaced it with an 1100 watt Sharp and there is NO combination of settings that will do a good job. You either leave a third of the kernels unpopped or you burn it. The "listen for the popping" method will definitely burn it with this unit.

Reply to
Rick Brandt