Microwave Interior Paint

My 1999-era Sharp Carousel microwave oven is beginning to develop rust near the bottom of the interior, back wall. I assume that this is caused by the frequent humidity in the oven, during use. Is there anything special about the paint that is used in microwave ovens (like radiation sheilding properties), or can I just sand it down to the metal and apply some Rust-O-Leum to it?
Thanks,
Franco
appliance stores sell a special paint, probably mostly special so the material doesnt outgass when heated and contaminate your food...
might be time to consider a new microwave, yours is getting elderly..
at least run your finger around the closed door while the ovens heating , if you find your finger gets warm get oven serviced or replaced.
Old appliances can become a hazard, espically microwaves...
hinges wear and seals go bad after nearly 20 years.
BTW I tend to hang onto stuff forever, but old semi hazardous ones concern me
ooops thought you aid 1980s era :(

LOL, I was just about to respond with an indignant: "Elderly?! My 1995 Sharp Carousel still works perfectly!"
Just gave our 1986 Panny micro to my brother in law to replace his out of date but still working 1975 Toshiba. Boy they built them heavy in those days, the Toshiba takes 1 strong or two regular people to move it, over twice the weight of larger current models. Probably cast iron frame!!!

Franco wrote:

Hi,
Some microwave paints.... http://www.applianceaid.com/tools2.html
On 16 Jun 2006 05:11:56 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

Thanks, everyone. You have been most helpful.
Franco
Personally I wouldn't paint the interior. I would just scrape up as much rust as possible then dab some appliance touch up paint in the area to prevent more rusting. Could also use silicone RTV to coat over the rust.
I suppose any good acrylic spraypaint will work but check out the Epoxy Appliance Paint. Even lower VOC than acrylic.
I have an over the stove model and the lamp on the bottom keeps the interior warm enough so that condensation is not a problem. While you're at it, check the ventilation louvers. Dust accumulation and reduced airflow might be the reason for the condensation in the first place.
Paint can be highly flammible and microwave ovens can arc. DO NOT Operate it until it is very dry and no longer smelling like paint solvent. Do not use matallic colored paint or anything that might be conductive and it will be fine for the microwaves to pass through (actually the back wall is a metal shield anyway so, so what)