Maytag window A/C with heat

Hi All,

I've been replacing window units in an apartment complex as they go bad - been trying different brands as an experiment. In one apartment, I installed a Maytag. In the 2 years this unit has been in service, it's had three service calls for complete failure.

A well-seasoned appliance repair veteran tells me this unit is junk. I've also heard some pretty bad things about these units from another dealer. Anyone know what's going on here?

Ray

Reply to
Ray Turner

Why do you ask that your message not be archived??

Reply to
Lawrence

His Maytag repairman has a necktie lighter than his shirt, a carnation in his lapel, and drives a black Buick.

Reply to
HeyBub

Came here seeking ideas and ran into Laurel and Hardy. Sheesh, life's too short......

Reply to
Ray Turner

All the smaller window ac units I've seen lately are produced in China, regardless of what brand label they carry. I doubt any one is better than another.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I've had good luck with a number of brands with some notible failures.

I bought 4 Frigidaire air conditioners and they all have poor quality or poorly designed on-off switches. The contacts can connect two different positions at the same time which blows house fuses. These switches also frequently go completely bad resulting in expensive service calls.

From what I seen, I'll never buy another Maytag or Frigidaire.....

Reply to
Ray Turner

I just bought and installed a window unit - Sharp Ultra-Quiet and it sounds like a threshing machine.

To top it off, I ordered it from amazon.com and they sent it from J&R, and it was a repackaged repaired unit sold as new.

It has dents all in the case where the compressor came loose and banged around in a prior life. They reattached the compressor and stuck it back in the same case and boxed it up as new again.

Shame on you, J&R, Sharp and Amazon.com

Reply to
DK