Material for basemnt wall nailing plate.

Hello,

I have aanother question regarding basement walls:

What is best material to use for the "nailing base plate" of the wall frame? I have read of using various materials such as regular spruce

2x4's , pressure treated 2x4's, and cedar 2x4's. To me cedar or pressure make the most sense, with cedar being the safer than pressure treated to have in the home. From what I can tell the moisture coming from the concrete would slowly rot regular spruce 2x4's. What do other's think?

Thanks, Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

Use regular lumber with a 15 lb roofing felt under the plate and running up the wall (also good to have it go up the entire wall to prevent normal moisture infiltration through your wall). An option would be to buy some metal studs in the same dimension as your plate and put the plate lumber into the metal stud. Then place the plate down with metal to the floor.

I am loathe to advise anyone on putting pt in their homes.

Reply to
edee em