Making your phone ring

Page 3 of 4
call it with your cell phone. Don't have one? Borrow one.

Also, does anyone know the number for finding out what the number is of the phone one is using? Few phones have the phone number on them anymore.
I'm glad you stared this thread.
Thanks, Don. My area code isn't there, but I'll try the common ones as suggested.

1197 But that was one city 45 years ago. Maybe 1191 somewhere else, but still 45 years ago.
When I dial my own number, I get a busy signal. Except when I had an internet answering machine, Buzme, so I had forward on busy, and then it would ring Buzme and I could get my messages.
Barely related: The clerk at the supermarket gave me a four digit number which I could use in place of a 10-digit number for those damn price reductions that require cards. I've forgotten it, but she also said that any 10-digit number will work, so I just make one up.

In the electronics ng, I tried to find out how to make one of my fax machines call the other, without using the phone system. I didnt' want to tie up my phone line. It turns out to be really hard, even if you buy a tone generator etc..

1-800-444-4444
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:54:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca wrote:

Hey, that works great. And since it's provided by MCI and not a local phone company, it probably works for everyone in the USA (and Canada).
This will be great when I'm delivering groceries. There are a lot of hot-looking chicks on my route, and and I can ask to borrow the phone and find out their number. Then I can give the number to my friend Pete, and he can call them and pretend her father gave him her number. He'll do the same for me.
Just kidding. I don't deliver groceries.

I think there is a law against having a hot looking chick route, without actually having a job.
That's MCI computer, but it does give the number you're using. Thank you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Unless you're behind an office phone system (or whatever the technical term for that is).
I just tried it from my office and it returned the main number for the complex, even though you can direct dial into my phone.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:09:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I bet MCI is asking "what the hell happened". They suddeny started getting hundreds of extra hits on this line.
On Mar 26, 2:33pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

.
Maybe they just made a bunch of extra money by storing those hundreds of hits and selling the numbers to a telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers distribution firm.
In fact, I think the poster who put up the number actually owns a telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers distribution firm and faked the MCI message.
At this very time, our numbers are being distributed to telemarketing firms across the globe.
Signed, Jerry Fletcher
(Go ahead, Google that name)
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:52:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Good phone numbers are freely available without thiis. Google (among others) will not only sell your phone number, they will give the customer a browsing history if you have ever given your phone number to a merchant on the web who stores cookies.
True story, my wife googled replacemnent windows and 20 minutes later her CELL PHONE rang. It was a saleman from Sears who said "we see you have been looking at windows" and told her about the windows she looked at (none of them at Sears.com). The common denominator google, the ultimate evil.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:25:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I give Google as little information as possible, and never keep cookies for them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I'm not convinced but this is from a regular poster who is not an idiot.

I do allow cookies in almost all cases.
I went to buy something from Amazon and when I went to check out, there were two things there from months ago, when I was just pricing things or trying to find out how much shipping costs.
it's a good think I looked at the screen and didn't just pay for everything. I had 3 or one thing I could at most use one of.
[snip]

I allow them too, after finding out how little works if you block cookies. I just have the browser delete them all on exit.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:12:08 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I still look at the cookie before I accept it.
My spam dropped to virtually zero when I stopped taking cookies, in spite of the fact that I use my actual ID everywhere.
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:18:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I did that for awhile, then got tired of doing it as many as 20 times for each page.

I'm also getting almost no spam.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

To comment on my own post: the sentence above sounds supercilious on reading it now, but I was also emailing the previous post to segeral friends to tell them about the phone number etc. and felt obliged to give context to them. I think I got mixed up and thought I was only emailing and not posting. I didn't intend any insult, by my faint praise, and I apologize if it sounded patronizing.

Here's a web page that will do this for you: http://www.phonemyphone.com /
It's main purpose is to schedule a call so you can escape boring meetings or end sucky dates early. But it also has the option to call now.
The newsgroup that is best to ask these telephone questions is comp.home.automation. Those guys are really into this stuff.

My parents used to hassle me if I wanted to go out but didn't have a good reason or destination. Sometimes I was just going to find out where my friends were hanging out. Way before cell phones...
I used to ring my phone back, answer it, and act like I was talking to a friend. When I hung up, I'd say something like "Going bowling with Russ" or "Greg needs help on his car" and off I'd go...more or less with their blessing.
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:01:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Dad, you never told me about this before. Do Grampa and Gramma know?
I'm sure I won't have to go to that much trouble to go out for the night, right, if you don't want them to find out.

Go ahead and tell Grampa and Gramma, you little snot faced brat.
I think you'll find that adults stick together, especially when they see a kid trying to usurp the authority of their parents.
Let me know how that works out for you.