Making your phone ring

Page 2 of 4
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:23:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd

The only time it is important is if they were supposed to pick you up at the airport ;-)
I am losing my bag phone next month and I bought a "geezer phone" (jitterbug). It is $10 a month and 35 cents a minute for folks like me that use about 5 minutes a month. No texting, no weather, no MP3s.
I would like a camera but I don't want one I need to email the pictures to my PC from. I want one with a USB port.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:30:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And, if it's in the phone, that's another gadget you bought but don't really own. I'd want a camera that's MINE. There are some really small (non-phone) digital cameras around.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Please say more about this $10/mo and 35cents a minute.
Sounds interesting to me -- only very rarely would a cell-phone be useful for me (work at home), but the usual $70/mo for something I'd never use seems pretty insane to me.
Thanks,
David
David Combs wrote:

Mobile over a Jitterbug. It works out to about 8 bucks a month for me. You can buy cards to keep it topped up, or set it to top up from a credit card automatically every 60 days or when it dips below 20 bucks, whichever comes first. That was the plan 4 years ago when I signed up- I hear they have others now, but never bothered to look into them. But I've been happy with the service, reliability, and seldom run into dead spots. I have heard plenty of horror stories about Jitterbug.
-- aem sends...

Another option is Page Plus. They use the Verizon network. The minimum charge is $10 every 4 months, which gives you 80 minutes. Calls are 14 cents/min and minutes will rollover when you recharge. I have had them for 2-3 years now and am very satisfied with them.
Dee

Which around here is a good thing.

I see here it is down to $0.12/minute:
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans/Standard%20Plan.aspx
Do you have to remember every 4 months to add minutes? Or can you set up something that automatically adds $10 every 120 days?
(I see the cheapest phone to purchase is $30.)

Yes. I misremembered. Can you tell I have the phone but don't use it very much? :-)

Yes, you have to remember, but you can take care of it with a phone call to them.

Dee
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:54:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the way they say 'death' all the time but act like they consider it not to be real (after all, "life after death" is a contradiction when you accept the reality of death).
--
"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

re: They will tend to be older
We will all tend to be older...hopefully.

analog service is ending, if its a old analog phone it may not work when you need it the most:(

The way kids always get a new one every time a new feature comes out, I should be able to pick up a dozen at the dump on Saturday.
I saw a girl in McD's today, couldn't have been over 16, with what appeared to be a Blackberry. Those aren't cheap.

I sure hope not!
The audio seems *vastly* better with land-line than via cell-phone.
Especially when listening to call-ins or interviews on a radio station -- signal varies second by second and, I suppose, on where the caller or interviewee is standing, which way he/she is facing, etc.
And high-freq sounds seem clipped off, too.
David

We used to have that here (it was probably intended for calling on a party line). It went away when the new ESS exchange was added.

Got a wireless (cellular) phone? That's how I do it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That feature is usually called "reverting ring".

It has other purposes too, but yes it works for party lines (of which there are virtually none left today?).
Most digital switching systems implement it in a very simple way: dial your own number!

That works too.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

I'm sure there are a few party lines still in service somewhere, probably in very small, rural exchanges.
Multi-party service was developed to accommodate demand for "lines" when it out-paced the deployment of facilities.
Four, six and eight-party lines in rural areas were common until the '70s. The exchange I serviced (local call to Omaha) had a couple or three-dozen, two-party lines when I started the job in 1982. By then, however, they had all been converted to the Central Office: They were "bridged" in the C.O. (as opposed to out in the country) because, by then, there were sufficient cable pairs to provide PRIVATE service to all customers all the way from the C.O.
It is interesting to note that multi-party service actually requires more equipment, work and trouble-shooting skill than private service.
It was rather amusing to be a <ahem> PARTY to the company process to ENCOURAGE the last two-party subscribers to regrade to either private service or, to still get the lower monthly rate, measured private service:
After a few years, many two-party subscribers were "bridged alone". That is, they did not have a party mate. Their party mate had either disconnected their service or regraded to 1FR (private) service.
When the telco contacted them, encouraging them to regrade to private service which was, of course, a few bucks more per month, some converted to private service. However, many saw no advantage to converting as they hadn't had to share their line in a few years.
It was at this point the fun began: Those remaining, two-party subscribers that were bridged alone were subsequently MATED to another subscriber.
After years of virtually private service, they found themselves again having to SHARE the line with a partymate. Most of the former hold outs promptly called the Business Office and regraded to 1FR.

That does not, and never has, worked for ringing-back your own line.
With my ESS service, including No Solicitation and Voice Messaging Service, dialing-back my own number invokes the No Solicitation intercept and then proceeds to VMS.
My "plain" line, when dialed-back, simply rings busy as has been the case for almost a century.
ANI (Automatic Number Identification) was implemented in numerous ways over the years. The old, three-digit "958" probably doesn't work anywhere anymore. Following The Divestiture (1984) and competition, it was changed to a 7-digit number, the last four of which were changed quarterly to prevent usage by non-telco personnel, particularly competitors.
Today, even the 7-digit ANI is all but gone. Instead, a technician calls a toll-free number that connects to a voice-responding testing system that reads-back the line number at the very least.
With the proliferation of Caller ID and wireless service, the need to provide telco-based ANI and ringback is all but gone.
--
:)
JR

I doubt it. As you noted in your discussion, it is not economical, and hasn't been since the 1980s.

Trust that that is not the case; it is indeed very common. For example, Nortel DMS systems implement it that way.

Yours is different; but that doesn't change the fact that most digital switching systems implement reverting call in that way.

My memory is foggy on that, but wasn't 958 a Wire Chief's line on the CO's 2-wire board?
I'm fuzzy on some of that because in Alaska we were virtually 100% digital by the mid-1980's, and at that time the US in general was only about 33% digital. So it has been more than just a couple decades since I've seen a Step office, for example.

Different LECs invented different policy.
For example, the damnedest on I can remember is a private network (within the Oil Industry) where they chose to have *all* of the test numbers utilize the extra 4 digits from a 4x4 keypad that are not on a 3x4 keypad. If I remember right, they are commonly called 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D'. But with a DMS-200 if one enters "907852AAAA", it doesn't dial it. I don't remember now what the offset was, but something like starting at 'K' instead of 'A'. It was annoying.
With the PSTN we could have Carrier Relations simply tell them that was unacceptable, change it or else. But on a private network, they could do as they wished.

True.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

Ditto. Party line and private line. I'd get a busy signal, hang up, and the phone would ring.
Dad...? I'm stupid, not crazy.
But for little sisters midway between cycles waiting for a call from a older boy... nnnn... wait for it.... Priceless!
I wrote that... still in court... -----
- gpsman

It depends on where you live. See:
http://www.tech-faq.com/ringback-number.shtml http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringback_number
Do you have a link for the computer that determines your phone number? Used to be 511 in Rochester, NY. And 993 or 998 in Wayne County (east of Rochester).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Suddenly mine comes back to me from WAY long ago.
In San Antonio, back in the 50's, it was "1191".
David