Making a driveway in clay soil

Generally speaking, where there is very heavy clay soil, how many inches of 4" ballast then how many inches of clean or modified crusher run?

The more the better If you going for a gravel driveway over clay my neighbor insisted on a gravel driveway.
So he had the old gravel dug out down over a foot. Then had a inch of asphalt laid.
then added big gravel then crushed.and had it rolled.
that must be 20 years ago the ONLY non muddy gravel driveway in the area.....
If you topping with asphalt or concrete some perforated drain lines in the gravel will help prevent freeze heaving

No asphalt or concrete, just stone. Looks like I'll have to pay some one to dig it out. Damn rental place in town keeps getting a smaller Kabota loader/hoe each time they get a new one. Soon it will be easier with a hand shovel.... come to think of it, that's how we moved our driveway when I was a kid. Dug it up an moved it, about 200' of driveway. No wonder I hurt so bad now, I wore out my body as a teenager.
Tony Miklos wrote:

Try United Rentals, Nations Rent, or another commercial equipment rental place for proper sized equipment. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for delivery and pickup for the larger equipment, but the much greater productivity of the larger equipment easily makes it worthwhile. If you or a friend happen to have a 1T pickup you can move a pretty good sized Bobcat and attachments yourself.
On 1/23/2011 6:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Thanks, I requested a quote. Closest one is about 65 miles but I have my own truck and trailer.

Try craigslist, often people with machines advertise excavating service there.
Frequently a guy buys one for himself and friends ask him to do some digging, he ends up with a nice side business:)

I forgot to ask you how your driveway was constructed, where are you located, and how many years until it began to get muddy?