MagicJack question

Page 2 of 2

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 08:56:23a, George told us...

My desktop PC at home runs 24/7 regardless, primarily for business reasons. If I don't happen to turn of the monitor when I go to bed, it powers off after a specified period of time, as do the hard drives. While I don't have one (yet), I see absolutely no reason why Magicjack would add significantly to the overhead. If I had a MJ and tested successfully running a fax through it, I could also cancel my land line. We don't use it for phone purposes anyway. We either use our Blackberries or cell phones for all phone calls.
I really don't see what all the fuss is all about.
--
Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:10:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Go ahead and get one, Wayne. We could use you for an unbiased reviewer. I really hope you get one and get it to work. My money is that you won't give up your current phone. You may find it good enough for a second line. I hope so.
Anyway, I saw a Magic Jack ad today that says they even pay return shipping. I shipped mine back for less than 2.50$
That is all it will cost you to test drive it.
Good luck
You get one, too, Mark Lloyd. I know you are listening. What is 2.50$ ? It kept me entertained for a couple of weeks.

It sounds interesting. I guess I'm waiting to see if I hear of any major problems.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Worst case scenario is you will have to pack it up and ship it back.
You might be one of the thousands that plug it in and it works perfectly without giving it any thought.
It would be nice to use you and Wayne as a sample group of 2, and see what percent of the sample group can just plug it in and start making calls. :)

I got MagicJack but when I installed it the pull down menu was blank and I could not select an area code to create a telephone number. I spent 5 days on the phone with the tech support but nothing worked. I returned it and immediately recieved a full refund. It was recommended to me by a friend who has used it for months with no problems.

I had one for a few weeks. Call quality was unpredictable. Sometimes just fine, too often there was a nasty echo, dialed calls rarely went through the first time ("the number you dialed is not a working number) so I got to exercise the REDIAL button on my phone. I also found the popup window on incoming calls annoying as well as having to minimize it on outgoing calls.
My summary: pretty darn slick technology at the right price...but not quite ready for prime time. Regretfully, I sent it back.

reliable. It sucked the most. It would have been nice to get an email with the voice recordings of the callers, but that never worked for me. The emails I got with a voice attachment were blank.
On Sun 17 Aug 2008 08:31:10a, Mark Lloyd told us...

I think I'll be waiting a bit too, Mark. It's not really that high on my priority list.
Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

ransley wrote:

Alternatively, you don't need a computer for something like Vonage (if you're already paying for high-speed internet). Some amount per month ($19.95) and you get a real telephone number (you get to pick your area code*) and all the bells and whistles: caller-id, call waiting, voice mail, 3-way calling, call forwarding, yak-yak-yak, plus all the long distance you can eat.
This $19.95/month is it. No sales tax, Spanish-American War tax, Al Gore tax, universal access fee, 911 connection fee, fuel surcharge, physical plant recovery fee, whatever. $19.95 per month, period.
------- * This comes in hand if all your relatives are in, say, Boston. You can get 617 area code and, when they call you, it's a local call. Or, if you live in Dead Rabbit, Oklahoma and want all your customers to think you're high-tech, you can get a Palo Alto, California area code.

You can chose your area code and get free Voicemail, Caller ID ect with MagicJack for just $19.95 a year.
HeyBub wrote:

Pretty much the same as MagicJack which is also 19.95 . . but per *year* <g>

Pick your area code with MJ, as well. Can also dial/receive overseas MJ users, thru their US/Canada MJ number. A handy thing with MJ is that you can stick it in your pocket and use it on the road in any broadband connected PC. It's smaller than a pack of cigs and weighs one ounce.