Magic Jack Plus

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com/MJPLUSINT/1.0000/index.cgi?mid &01780&aV062&s90_q5d1021j129531&ClickID_96322361_c0f4410d-ceca-458b-829b-53119cbd525a
On 10/22/2012 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com/MJPLUSINT/1.0000/index.cgi?mid &01780&aV062&s90_q5d1021j129531&ClickID_96322361_c0f4410d-ceca-458b-829b-53119cbd525a
I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

And it plugs right into the router, no more PC on all the time.
Mine is in a box somewhere, and they just charged my CC for the next year of service. I better go find it. <g>
The Daring Dufas wrote: https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com ... long link)

Why not get a google-voice phone number?
It's free, and does the same thing.
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html
To get a google-voice phone number (which can be a phone number from any US area-code of your choosing) you need to give google a call-back phone number that you can answer during the sign-up. If you don't want to give your real home land-line or cell number, then do the sign-up from some other location where you can answer the phone if it rings (at work, a friends's house, etc). You can even give it a toll-free number for the call-back number. You can configure google-voice so that it never forwards the call to the call-back number - so it can just act like a voice-mail system and sends you an e-mail of the transcript of the message.
If you do give google-voice your real home or cell-phone number, then the way it works is that if someone calls your google-voice number, google then calls you at your real number and connects both ends of the call so you end up talking to the person who called the google-voice number.
For anyone that wants to make out-going phone calls from their computer, and if you have a gmail account, then get the google-talk plug-in and you can call any phone number in UC/Canada for free (assuming you are also somewhere inside US/Canada). This is like skype, except that skype wants you to pay for these calls.

Unlike MagicJack, Google Voice numbers aren't meant to be thrown away as soon as you get an undesirable caller. I use my GV number to allow loved ones and friends to hunt me at home or by cell. MagicJack isn't needed because GV allows you to block undesirable callers, eliminating the need to replace your number.
On Oct 22, 11:21pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

I solved that problem 40 years ago with a phone answering machine. No wave files required.
On 10/23/2012 8:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I can go to anyplace with WiFi and make a call with my Magic Jack via my laptop with either a headset or standard telephone. It freaks folks out when I sit at McDonald's with a standard desk phone at the table carrying on a phone conversation with someone. It's even funnier when the desk phone rings and I answer it. ^_^
TDD
Yes, that would reall get me puzzled. Funny images.
I can go to anyplace with WiFi and make a call with my Magic Jack via my laptop with either a headset or standard telephone. It freaks folks out when I sit at McDonald's with a standard desk phone at the table carrying on a phone conversation with someone.
It's even funnier when the desk phone rings and I answer it. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:47:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

"OK, where's Alan Funt?!"
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:21:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I tried the original one with little success. I would have kept it if it had reliable incoming answering service. In my case, that didn't work 100% of the time. That was unacceptable.
I just subscribed to Charter's Voip for two years. I may give MJ+ a try again when that runs out.
On 10/23/2012 1:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I got my first one before the things were available at every corner drug store and had to order it over The Net. One of the things I do is service and install VoIP systems so I had to get one to play with anyway. The one I have now is plugged into my Dell workstation and the Internet connection is cable with 6m/500k and the MJ works flawlessly. I have some other VoIP adapters and a whole VoIP KSU to play with and will be experimenting with them soon. ^_^
TDD
On 10/22/12 10:51 pm, Metspitzer wrote:

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com/MJPLUSINT/1.0000/index.cgi?mid &01780&aV062&s90_q5d1021j129531&ClickID_96322361_c0f4410d-ceca-458b-829b-53119cbd525a The customer reviews of MJ+ on Amazon are a mixed bag.
Perce
x-no-archive: yes
Magic Jack is alright for the $20/year, unlimited calls across North America. The downside is your calls will be disconnected when network gets too busy, and the sound tends to cut out if I do something in the background on the PC. There are also some cool ad-ons such as Call Blocking, etc. available as an add on package from a third party vendor.
Michael Lalonde Sudbury, ON Jumlers.com food catering