lubricating (deadbolt) lock?

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate. I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus, I end up with black powder on everything.
Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray, or something?
Thanks, G
George wrote:

Something works well:-))
Just don't get your something at Harbor Freight, it doesn't last very long.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I've never had much luck with graphite, I know it is the recommended lube, but a squirt of spray oil seems to work a lot better. The reason graphite is recommended is; it doesn't attract and hold dirt. However, It doesn't stick or lube very well either, I'll take my chances with a can of spray oil.
George wrote:

Graphite oil which is used for car locks. Or liquid Teflon lubricant, Lubriplate white grease.
George wrote:

Use Lithium grease in the spray can.
George wrote:

When are people going to understand the difference between silicon and silicone? I would hate to bump into a bimbo who has silicon implants, it would hurt.
TDD