locating holes in backerboard

I am tearing down the walls around my bathtub because of water damage to the drywall underneath the tiles. I am installing backerboard (Dura-rock) all around and then re-tiling. My question is, what is the easiest and best way to locate the holes in the backerboard for the 2 faucets, 1 spout, 1 diverter and one showerhead? Also can I use ordinary drywall mud on the new seams of the backerboard?
Thanks.

tape measure. no. use thinset.

cut the board to size, then use lipstick on the pipes, press board against pipes