Load Snow Blower into SUV

Page 1 of 2

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170 pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.
Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?
Thanks, Bernie
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:52:27 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.
My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to hange over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No problem when loading in. But unloading, how do I keep them attached to the SUV long enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower rolls backwards I think the wheels will just push the 2x's rather than rolling over them.

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:03:48 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"

Fasten a couple of approx 1' x 1' pieces of sheet metal to the tops of the 2x12 so the wheels roll onto the sheet metal before hitting the wood ramp; should keep it from slipping out.
Or... my store bought ramps have small chains on them that clip onto the hasp for the door lock to keep the ramps tight to the truck.
HTH, Paul F.
Bernie Hunt wrote:

.Mosr bumpers these days are urethane plastic. Just nail into it.

LMAO

Screws work better.

Buy or make something like:
http://autoanything.com/images/products/med/hitch_accessories/lund_truck_ramp_kit.jpg
http://www.carriers4cycles.com/cycle_carrier_images/RampBracket.gif
Put on 2x12's as suggested.

I use a couple 2x8's with these brackets. I beveled the ground end of the 2x8's for easier loading. I mixed up some primer and very fine sand to paint the 2x8's for traction. This works fine for me to load\drive my snow blower up into and out of my pickup truck.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RAMP1&productid=RAMP1&channelid=FROOG

Or some of that stair tread grit tape for the la-de-da version.

tom wrote:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RAMP1&productid=RAMP1&channelid=FROOG
Lowes sells those ramp brackets. About $20.
Bernie Hunt wrote:

When I brought mine home in my minivan, I jammed the low end of the ramps in a wide crack in the driveway. (2x8s from an old waterbed frame I trashpicked- knew I saved them for something.) I also picked my spot on the driveway halfway up the slope so that the ramps would be almost horizontal. If your driveway is crack-free, maybe a couple long spikes into the crack between driveway and garage apron? Or some long 2x4s up against the tires of your other car? You don't need much.
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:03:48 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"

Prop up the back end of the boards on a box, sawhorse, upturned garbage can, whatever to make them about level. Once you get the blower out a little ways, remove the prop and lower the board to the ground. I've done this many times with both my snow blower and my chipper, which is heavier and doesn't roll as easily. The boards I use are 10 footers.

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:58:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Depends on the boards. I tried 2x8 for a similar weighted object, and they sagged horribly. I finally bought the bullet and picked up a set of metal atv ramps. Talk about the cat's behind!
--
A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. --
Joseph Campbell

I said 2x12, not 2x8. Big difference!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

See if this would be something to make: http://www.ehow.com/how_5632117_make-tailgate-ramp.html
googled and found a ramp kit: http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/65A3664A0A0.aspx
Bernie Hunt wrote:

a couple of 2x6's would do that amount easily. try not to over engineer the project.
Bernie Hunt wrote:

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.
Pete,
Do you know what department they are in at Lowes?
Thanks, Bernie

Why not just ask one of their knowledgeable sales people? :-)