line chalk on carpet

my son in law was over doing some repairs, his chalk line was removed from his toolbelt by one of the kids and chalk was released onto the carpet (brand new mind you). Now have some red on the carpet.

I have only vacuumed it so far. Took a brush to try and break it free. Tonight will use the hose attachment for better control and suction. I have not put anything wet on it!

Anyone have permanent issues with this? The area was not walked on or otherwise disturbed. Seems to be in the fibers pretty good.

Reply to
bizee

Try using the crevice vacuum attachment, tamp the carpet. With patience that should get most of it. Avoid using anything wet.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, the different colors have different ratings, red is permanent. You can try contacting the manufacturer. Irwin is one common company, here is a link to their answer about chalk colors, according to them it is "nearly impossible to remove":

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

As soon as you said red it was over. The red chalk is meant for more or less permanent markings. I don't know how the blue chalk differs, but it's a helluva lot easier to clean up.

I'd try some of that oxygenated stuff, then steam cleaning. It might make it worse, but you've got to try something. Failng with that, you could have a carpet guy cut out the damaged area and splice in a patch. Depending on the skill of the carpet guy and the type of carpet the repair can be anywhere from passable to invisible.

RicodJour

Or just buy a few cases of red chalk and rub it into the whole carpet.