'Lectrics question

I know there was discussion recently about stapling wires on rafters , but what about on floor joists ? My new place has a suspended wood floor with decent crawl space and is curently open all round . Will be closed in as soon as I get the wiring and plumbing in . I'm going to drill anyway , but just wondered . Since I've allowed good space underneath , I'll be running most of the wiring under the house and I want a clean looking job. The exception will be lighting for obvious reasons . Today I nailed boxes and ran the temp service from the pole into my new panel . Tomorrow I should have most of the wire ran - weather permitting - and outlets and basic lighting hot by friday . Then she wants the bathroom finished ... and so do I . -- Snag

Reply to
Snag

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards.
Reply to
gfretwell

How long has that para. been in effect? The house we bought ten years ago has the wiring for the A/C unit (twin 12ga + ground Romex) stapled to the underside of the joists.

Also, the para. you quoted refers to unfinished basements. That section of our basement was unfinished when we moved in, but it's a lot more finished now: sheetrock over what were bare studs, but still exposed joists. Does that require any change to the wiring?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

That has been in the code for at least 40 years.

No, You will have to change it if you want drywall on the ceiling tho, unless you fur the drywall down.

Reply to
gfretwell

My biggest concern would be the way critters seem to love the taste of wire insulation, particularly Romex.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well , while it won't happen right away , there will be stone up at least to the window sills ... and I have yet to see a critter that can chew stone . It will be closed in with either tin or 1" foam insulation until the stone goes on . Has anybody here used those thermo-spring actuated crawl space vents ? Supposed to open when it gets hot and close when it gets cool , but the only ones I've had contact with were crap .

Reply to
Snag

I heard they were bad maybe 20 years ago. Surey they've improved them by now. It' snot rocket surgery.

Reply to
micky