Leaky Pluming Installation - Advice Needed

I redid my water main setup with regulators, ball valves etc and my irrigation line. Got the whole thing together and soldered and had leaks. Took a section apart and redid it and solved that problem. Now the irrigation line is leaking!!! I took it apart again and am wondering about one thing. When connecting a PVC line to a copper line is teflon tape best or a teflon based pipe thread compound or both? Do I tighten real tight or just finger tight? And lastly, can I solder a copper line with the PVC connection already made or will this melt the PVC to Copper connection? I cut a section about 6" away and it would be easier to just put back toghether with a slip coupling without disconnecting the PVC line. I thought about using a copper expoxy to avoid the heat in this application. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Michael Roback

I'd use Teflon tape (the solvent in the thread compound may soften the PVC over time). I'd also recommend using a female PVC adapter and a male copper adapter. The reason is that there is very little material thickness in a male PVC adapter so it will distort or cold flow more readily than the thicker female PVC adapter. If this a a real problem consider using schedule 80 (gray in color) for the PVC adapter.

Do I tighten real tight or

About 1 turn with a wrench. And lastly, can I solder a copper line with the PVC

Don't solder with the PVC connected. I

Copper epoxy won't bond reliably to PVC.

Boden

Any help

Reply to
EL