Leakproofing Spa thermostat entrance

I have a very old spa that likes to give me headaches.
It has a hole for inserting the thermostat's bulb, which unfortunately is very close to some other object insidethe control unit, so I can insert the bulb, but just barely.
The hole is in a PVC fitting with threads on the outer side and hole on the inside where I put the bulb through. Anyway, my question is, what is a good way to prevent leaks in that area where the bulb enters the hole. Plumbers putty does not seem to work well in the long run.
thanks
Scratch my question. I realized that what I need is called a "thermowell". I will install just that.
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:25:45 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus4299

If your spa is in good condition and you're happy with the size, # of jets, etc. it might be a good investment to upgrade it with a new "Spa Kit". Basically these include a new pump, heater, and electronic controls that will be MUCH nicer than your old-fashioned controls and air-bulb triggers...
Cost is something like $400-$500 if you do it yourself...
-Tim

You have a good point, but what I have, basically works okay and just needs a couple of upgrades (timer and that thermowell). If the old control goes bad, or the pump breaks, I will definitely consider buying a new spa pack as you say. There is limited space and poor access to the spa front, so I prefer not to go this route (full upgrade) if possible. It means at least a week wasted on evening work.