Leak in Cast Iron Drain in Basement

The drain in our basement, which is overhead in the basement coming down from the first floor toilet and kitchen, is so corroded now i put my finger through it while trying to feel for a leak. I have it wrapped in a boatload of duct tape, but before the plumber comes tomorrow, I want to know from anyone out there if a plumber can fix a section of this fairly easily? Can the corroded portion be cut out and replaced?? Thanks!
The drain in our basement, which is overhead in the basement coming down from the first floor toilet and kitchen, is so corroded now i put my finger through it while trying to feel for a leak. I have it wrapped in a boatload of duct tape, but before the plumber comes tomorrow, I want to know from anyone out there if a plumber can fix a section of this fairly easily? Can the corroded portion be cut out and replaced?? Thanks!

If there is good solid pipe above and below the "patch", it can be cut out and replaced with iron or PVC. Without seeing it, that is about all the help I can offer.
It's a relatively easy and not too expensive fix, BUT, not necessarily a good one. If it's corroded in this place, it is probably corroded elsewhere. Perhaps the rest will last another 20 years, or six months or will fall apart while the plumber is cutting out the current corroded section.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Colbyt" < snipped-for-privacy@lexkyweb.com> wrote in message
Can you easily get to the cast iron pipe? Sounds like it. Most likely he will just remove it and replace it with pvc. May have to remove a lot of it if the condition is that bad.
Jeffy3 wrote:

Plumber came to check it out this morning. Will be replacing two sections. The piece with the biggest leak is horizontal, and the one elbow leading to it seems pretty fragile (when you tap on it the sound is very tinny). The rest of it seems okay though (I hope!)
Jeffy3 wrote:

Good Luck. If the plumber is any good, he should be able to determine what needs replacement.
On 21 Aug 2003 16:40:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeffy3) wrote:

Just wrap one full (large size) roll of duct tape over each foot of pipe. Wrap the entire pipe from where it enters the basement floor all the way to the roof. So, if you have 30 feet of pipe, buy 30 rolls of duct tape. Be sure the pipe is completely dry, and wrap tightly. This should last years, and if a leak occurs, just wrap more tape.
(Jeffy3) wrote:

I think Duct tape should be licensed product to prevent its misuse!
(Jeffy3) wrote:

How about a constructive suggestion for what I should use in the meantime while we await the plumber?
Get an angle grinder for 10 bucks, cut the old pipe out, use a Mission adapter to connect the old pipe with PVC, or call the plumber and experience sticker shock.
(Jeffy3) wrote:

Jeffy3 wrote:

half rotten??? a full length of PVC pipe cant cost much and will get rid of the problem... the high cost of labor will hit you, so do it yourself and save....

I believe PVC is illegal in my town believe it or not.