Laying Hardwood Floors - Underlay- DYI

Hi,

I am in the midst of ripping up a 3/8 oakstrip floor (yuck). I want to lay down 3/8th ply on top of the existing 1x8 diagonal floor boards...screw the boards down and then the plywood.

I am doing this primarily to maintiain a certain height and to save me ripping up adjoing oak flooring.

Can anyone think of any downside to this?

Thanks

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

Huh?

So, you want to screw the finished, new, wood floor to plywood and then lay that down over your diagonal subfloor? Did I get that right?

I cannot think of any benefit to doing that.

Downsides Its just wrong. I assume screwing floor down from bottom. hard to remove, will split boards fitting it will be hard it will rock and squeak It will never match up to anything it adjoins Its just wrong.

Suggestion - Clearly explain what you want to do and ask for suggestions. Don't re-invent the wheel. Many of us have done HW floors and have dealt with blending old to new, different heights, etc.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Reply to
Brikp

Hi, sorry I was not very clear.

I want to screw the diagonals down (well) to the joists. Then screw the plywood on to the diagonals... then install the floor (like a normal person) on top of the plywood.

My intention for the plywood is to maintain consistent height as well as tie the whole floor system together nice and tight.

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

A simpler solution is use thresholds to transition the floors. You may have to make them your self , but it is normal , accepted, and will not be objectionable.

Reply to
m Ransley