Lawn mower problem...

Page 1 of 2
Usually I have no concerns with lawnmower maintence issues...
But yesterday I found a problem not previously encountered....
Old mower (25 years ?), Sears model 917.372110, has a whopping 3.5 HP "Craftsman" engine, Model 143.374082, which looks to me like a pretty standard Briggs and Stratton.
I serviced the mower thoroughly beginning of March. New plug, fresh oil, blade sharpened, new air filter, new coil / ignition module (once every 5 years, it was due).
Mower has been used this season about 8 - 10 times, ran fine...
Cold start. Follow directions, primeer bulb pushed 5x, waiting about 15 seconds between pushes.
Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to, runs about 5 - 10 seconds, dies.
Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.
Re prime. Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to, runs about 5 - 10 seconds, dies.
Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.
Repeat several times. Clearly, its a fuel supply issue.
Getting frustrated, so I walk away. Grass will still be there in a half hour, and I'll try again in case I flooded it.
Come back in half hour, notice intense gasoline odor. Gas is running out the air filter, puddling on the deck and down onto the grass.
Tank, which was filled (fresh gas, Stabil) before I started this adventure is now about 3/4 empty.
Remove tank and pour remaining gas back into can.
Swear loudly.
I'm thinking carburetur issue, probably a split rubber primer bulb or some gasket issue inside carb, alliwing air to go up the fuel line into the tank, and fuel to run down the fuel line to fill the float bowl and rise up so it drains out the air intake pipe, though the air filter and onto the frund.
Air filture is a circular catridge type that screws into a plastic housing at the front end of the air intake tube.
I don't like messing with carbs, but will if I have to. I can always haul it to a repair place if I can't fix it. I sure can't break it any more than it already is.
Anybody have any idea which B&S engine Sears used in this thig?
Anybody run into a similar problem?
Anybody have a good lead on buying B&S parts? I hate Sears prices and sipping charges on parts.
TIA.
Correction: Engine is a Tecumseh.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Tecumseh.
Try Jack's Small Engines:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com /
I've had superior service from them.
Try the Sears website, too, & see if you can get the part(s) locally:
http://www3.sears.com/
& they are cheaper quite often. I bought a mower deck shell last year & Sears was the best price, & cheapest on shipping.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:
SNIPS

Yeah, I found, after my initial post, that it was Tecumseh with a little digging.
Thanks for the parts site cite.
I found another one:
http://www.landscapepower.com
Glad to hear that you hav had good experiences with John's. I'd be buyng blind.
Sears was surprisingly cheaper for a carb ($ 59.99) than the site I found ($ 62 and change).
Again, thanks.
Very unlikely to need the entire carb. Much more likely just the float.
You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That comes of my disolute youth, been lawyering and then judging for too long until I retired a couple years ago.
Which is why I love tinkering with things mechanical, electrical, and constructionish.
Very relaxing and as far removed from what I do / did as a job to be fun.
And mechanical stuff actually sometimes does what you "tell" it to do, unlike 99% of criminal defendants and 90% of civil litigants.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Being as how Usenet is not a site, apparently you're not. :)
--
Postulate a God who\'s so smart He designed things we won\'t discover for the
next ten years, but who\'s so incredibly stupid He couldn\'t think up the
clifto wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:00:50 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

Of course he can! Never say never - mentioned here before. -- Oren
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Easy for you to.
--
Postulate a God who\'s so smart He designed things we won\'t discover for the
next ten years, but who\'s so incredibly stupid He couldn\'t think up the
clifto wrote:

I guess you can be as dumb as you write. You've just proven it yet again.
On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:23:40 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

Was this mower sitting in the hot sun by chance?
I filled my tank recently, sitting in the HOT 90F sun for awhile I think it leaked onto the deck of my mower. Maybe a tight cap and expanding gas forced it out onto the mower deck via the carb.
I don't know for certain, but the deck looks the color of bee's wax, just under the carb. The mower still runs.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:
SNIPS

Hmmm. Good idea. Real cloudy here yesterday, though, all day. Temps never broke 60. So I do't think thats it.

Sounds like classic case of carb-flooding- could be dirt in needle-valve, or corroded (thus sinking) float, mostlikely.
Carb-kit time.
JN

Or dirt in the float valve.
Bob

Float valve and needle-valve. Did I miss something or are they one in the same? -- Oren
wrote in message

As I understand it, the float valve controls the fuel level, needle valves control fuel mixture.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:
HUGE SNIPS

I read and hear about "carb kits".
At the risk of showing how ignorant I can sometimes be, what's a "carb kit" and where do you get one?
All I see on web sites for this Tecumseh are lots and lots of real small parts being sold separately, or a complete, unbolt the old one rebolt the new one, replacement carb.
http://www.perr.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search tion&category=TEC3&keywords=all
On Mon, 07 May 2007 16:48:34 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

There doesn't appear to be one from Sears. Any mower shop should be able to get an after-market kit.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----