Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put new fuel, check the spark plug too. The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

Reply to
lbbss

It could be the flywheel sheer pin. Until you mentioned that ran over a shovel thing (or was it a rake this time?) I was gonna say the carb is gummed up.

If it's running too lean, you might try wrapping the air cleaner element with a damp paper towel to choke down the air supply.

But check the flywheel pin; that's cheap and easy.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The gas cap vent is likely plugged. Just try loosening the cap a turn or so and see if it solves the problem.

Reply to
Bob F

You have removed and cleaned the air filter??

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Its fuel or electrical, 2 minutes indicates when the carb is empty it dies so a fuel passage or float, does it start whan you force gas in by priming, then its fuel related. if more then a few minutes it could be the ignition module, see if you get spark after it dies, probably need a carb rebuild

Reply to
ransley

yes put a new air filter.

Reply to
lbbss

Gas lawnmower. I tried starting it today again it was difficult. When I prime it I can smell the gas, I even see some in the air filter. But after pulling the rope many times to try to start it, I would expect to see a wet spark plug, but mine is always dry. Last time when I unscrewed the bottom of the carb pan, there was gas is the small metal pan. Maybe the problem is past that area? Thanks.

Reply to
lbbss

Gravity fed fuel or a pulse-pump to feed fuel? Sounds like the carb bowl goes empty. I'd remove it and watch the fuel flow for say a cup of gas; is it a consistant flow or is it slow, just a drip?

Dry plug says no fuel; Next is carb in the line. Then the fuel filter; those plug easily. Then the fuel tank, usually with a screen over the output, inside the tank. Tank could need cleaning, could be a plugged fuel filter, fuel not getting to carb, carb plugged or jets plugged. Not much more in the ckt.

This could well be nothing but a plugged fuel filter; changed it too?

Reply to
TWayne

As someone asked earlier, diid you check the flywheel pin? it may be sheared just a tiny bit.

Reply to
Rich256

Kind of a longshot but check your blade. This same type of problem happened with my Craftsman. The blade was out of tightness due to hitting a wooden post. It sheared the little knobby things that hold the blade tight and it caused a tough time starting..

Reply to
lilo

would fly wheel pin prevent gas from getting to the spark plug? Because that is definitely a problem, I keep priming and pulling and then check the spark plug and it is dry as dry can be.

Reply to
lbbss

would that prevent gas from getting to the spark plug? Because that is definitely a problem, I keep priming and pulling and then check the spark plug and it is dry as dry can be. And would that explain why it would dry all of a sudden after it starts?

Reply to
lbbss

I've seen on Tecumsehs, sometimes gasket between the carb and the engine dries out. Might have to remove the carb, put a dab of Permatex #2 non hardening gasket crap on the both sides of the gasket, and bolt er back on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Bob F, SexySusie wrote: This worked!!!!

Reply to
SexySusie

replying to SexySusie, MowerMoe wrote: Thanks for replying to Bob's suggestion, Susie.

Reply to
MowerMoe