Landscape Lighting

My wife really wants about four landscape lights along our front walkway to our house. She bought cheap ones a couple of times, but they are worthless junk.
I'm thinking about buying individual lights and rigidly mounting them on conduit or PVC tubing. (The diagram below will not work if your news reader is not displaying text in a fixed font.)
Here is one type of light that I'm considering: http://tinyurl.com/mxku8d
My questions are, what size pipe are the light "heads" typically mounted on? Should I use conduit, copper pipe, or PVC for the conduit? As I hope you can see from the diagram above, part of the conduit will be buried.

They are low voltage and you can install them with conduit or PVC pipes. You don't have to dig too deep to bury the electric wires.

The standard for these kind of lights is 1/2" pipe but it is a straight cut thread, not pipe taper. Pipe taper will still screw in it. You could use the threaded PVC riser pipe like they use in sprinklers, bump up to schedule 80 pipe nipples or get galvanized nipples.
mcp6453 wrote:

I yse solar ones at my cabin driveway, If you replace origibal cheap ewchargeable batteris with industrial, mil-spec grade ones, they last quite long. My lights out there are ~4 years old and still working fine.

OK, you're tired of using junk, then you link to more junk. If you want good stuff, that will last, and work, use line voltage, mount them to PVC landscape lighting posts, and wire them with UF cable. I would recommend fixtures that use Edison bases,(even low voltage) and avoid MR16 and other halogen types

if you are using low voltage, personal preference will give you many choices. consider your climate, soil, rainfall, snowfall, lawnmowing, snowblowing, and possible damage when you trip or drive over them. if you choose instead to use 110v you need to follow the electrical code that applies to your zipcode. -b