landscape idea under Tall 50+ft Pine tree

I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow there.
Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a pine tree??
I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow, freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.
samurai.
samurai wrote:

Why? its natural and looks nice. Why try to grow grass where it naturally doesn't grow.
Why not build a rock garden in the area and add plants that would normally grow near pines?

Thinking of pines, a large one grew next to the house I used to live in. I decided to leave the needles and cones there. They looked a lot better than the mud that would be visible otherwise (it was too dark for grass).

Mark Lloyd
I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or whayt not.
I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

Pine cones are useful if you have a wood-burning fireplace. They're good for starting fires. My parents used to keep an old washpot full of them next to the fireplace.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

And lots of people want them to do all of that Martha Stewart stuff.

One time I was collecting pine cones and a relative assumed they were for that. I knew they were actually for starting fires.

Mark Lloyd