Lampshades and Bachelors

Bachelor question.....

I got a lampshade that has gotten pretty dirty. Can I just wash it under the faucet, or how do people clean them? It appears to be made of some sort of stiff cloth.

Reply to
justme

You may have to get married to solve this. Put an ad in the personals emphasizing you need a wife with domestic talents. You probably won't get a looker but we are trying to be practical here. Work the dirty lampshade into the conversation during your courtship. If she's shrewd she'll hold out on giving up the info until you produce a ring. If she lets slip how to make your shade sparkle before you pop the question, that's your cue to say "maybe we can just be friends".

Alternitively, you could search Google for "clean lampshade" and come up with a site like the one below. I've never cleaned a lampshade myself but this was on the internet so it must be true:

Use a clean soft cloth or a vacuum brush to dust the lampshade inside and outside.

Take off any non-washable trim.

If the cloth is glued to the frame, sew it on with thread of the same color.

Then you will be able to wash it over and over again without any trouble. Fabric Shades

Fill a deep washtub or bathtub with enough warm water to cover the shade.

Add detergent and swish up thick suds. Use a mild detergent, as a hand dish-washing liquid.

Use suds on a soft brush to rub any spots lightly.

Then dip the shade up and down.

When the water gets dirty, change to clean sudsy water.

Wash the shade a second time.

To rinse the shade, dip it up and down through two or three changes of clean water.

Don't worry if the cloth stretches and sags while it is wet. It will tighten up for a snug fit when it gets dry.

Reply to
mem

I've always had good luck with a lint roller. However it really depends on how deep the dirt is. If it just landed and you need to it off the surface, a lint roller is great. I've never tried washing a shade

Reply to
c_kubie

What the hell is a bachelor doing with a lamp, let alone a lamp with a shade?

Reply to
Matt

You gotta have something for the party guests to wear...

Reply to
Andy Hill

Just buy a new lamp.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Put it in the shower

Reply to
m Ransley

consider getting it dry cleaned

Reply to
effi

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Use the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner. You could also try one of these Turbo Dusters:

or

Buy a soft cloth and some anti-dust spray. Whatever you do....DON'T get the shade wet with water. You'll ruin it. The dust will simply roll into little balls and stick all over the shade. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Toss it in the dishwasher......then buy one you like.

Reply to
Rick Shaw

Seems like it's about the right shape to cram in the washing machine. Round... Just have to fold it up a bit, right. It's pleated already. Compact it a bit. Permanant Press, warm wash, low soap. No problem!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got a lamp with a shade. It's dusty and I really don't give a hoot. Maybe this spring I'll take the shade outside, and blast it off with the shop vac set to exhaust.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Leave the store plastic wrapping on the shade. Just turn the price and label to toward the wall.

Got a new set of shades five years ago, haven't had to clean them yet. :) :)

Reply to
Lorence M