Lamp post emergency

Page 2 of 2
Presumably it was code compliant when built.
For posterity, I called Mr. Handyman, a franchised handyman service in my area. He checked, and there was no electricity going to the post wire when the switch was off. The gentleman first noted the absence of GFCI on the circut for the post. Because there were some problems putting a GFCI on at the panel, we installed it on the first outlet of the series (the outlet was wired as a junction box!). He then dug up the concrete plug and using a body length chisel, broke the concrete apart and chiseled out the electrical cord where it had been cemented. At night we covered the hole with plywood and rocks. We installed a new post with a convenience outlet, filling the hole with cement only below where the wire entered the post, and protecting the wire with a piece of PVC pipe.
How much did it cost?

again I wouldnt of cemented it in but at least now you know what to do the next time.
sounds like he did a good job...