kitchen cabinets..what to get

We are going to redo our kitchen and I need advice about what brand cabinets to buy, We don't want junk but we don't want to buy diamond encrusted ones either. What are the good, reasonably priced brands to look at?

Reply to
ediebur

Ya right,

What is your budget, and design?

I am putting in the Lowes unfinished ones currently. But I am not staying in this home for much longer.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

I would say try to get ones that are made completely of real wood (no particle board anywhere on them). Other than that, I would not be brand particular.

Reply to
scott21230

schrock makes beautiful wood cabinets and they are greatly discounted. we had hickory with black granite and they looked beautiful.

Reply to
Jerry

we've been assured by our home inspector that propane can be easily brought in, so that is not an issue. i just need recommendations on a good downdraft gas (propane) cooktop, probably 5 or 6 burners. does the vent usually come with it or is that sedparate? can someone suggest a cabinet company?

Reply to
Jerry

For the mortal man on a budget, all wood is probably not going to happen. Be sure the "sawdust" is really MDF and not particle board. Look at the exposed parts like the end caps and see if it is really wood or just a picture of wood on paper or a laminate. A hard laminate (like formica) is probably the most durable. The "paper" finish won't take normal washing for long. Face frames will either be wood under polyurethane or a laminate. Your choice. The thing that reallyt impacts you the most is the construction of the drawers and the hardware. Most early cabinet failures will be drawers falling apart or slides that jam. You really want a quality slide and well built drawers. Pull them out and compare the cheap ones to the expensive ones. That is the easiest place for a novice to see a difference. Other hardware issues are the door hinge style and the method of keeping them closed. I liike the spring loaded hinge but that may be a personal preference.

Reply to
gfretwell