Keeping moths away from covered porch?

We have a 6'x24' covered porch with our main entry door in the back corner of the porch. Unfortunately, moths, mosquitos, and other flying insects like to hang out under the porch and come flying into the house every time we open the door.
Is there anything we can do to reduce the insect concentrations around the porch area? (We do not want screens).
Thanks,
Anthony
At my house this is most problematic at night. We keep the porch light off whenever possible and also keeping off interior lights near the door helps too. Please post if you find a better solution.

corner
time
the
I've always wondered why they ALWAYS put the porch light right next to the door so all the bugs are there when you open the door. Seems like it ought to be about 10 feet away or so.

Same knuckleheads who remove all the trees 3 acres away from your house "so the equipment can have gooder access". Duh.
Dark curtains on the windows which face the porch, or turn off all the light in the house. And, no porch light. If you need light for the steps, pick up a small solar light just to accent the steps for safety.
Otherwise, reconsider screens.

HerHusband wrote:

Put the light on a motion detector so that it is not on all the time.
snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com says... :) We have a 6'x24' covered porch with our main entry door in the back corner :) of the porch. Unfortunately, moths, mosquitos, and other flying insects :) like to hang out under the porch and come flying into the house every time :) we open the door. :) :) Is there anything we can do to reduce the insect concentrations around the :) porch area? (We do not want screens). :) :) Thanks, :) :) Anthony :) As mentioned lighting may be the long term answer. Moving light away from the home or reducing the amount of time it is on...If you use a spray go with the pyrethroid group, they will have some repellency to them. Depending on what you use may give from a few days of relief to a number of weeks.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

HerHusband wrote:

If there is water or debris collecting under the porch, it should be removed. Can you screen the area under the porch to keep critters out? Clearing bushes/plants may help as well.